"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Fearless: Are Tanaka & Huo Juanjia Knightly?  (Read 6849 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Fearless: Are Tanaka & Huo Juanjia Knightly?
« on: 2012-05-01, 23:46:05 »
Tea Conversation

From this scene onward's I believe that we really see why Honor and Chivalry are important. Tanaka and Huo show each other great honor. Showing their true selves despite the world around them.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-02, 00:04:10 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: Fearless: Are Tanaka & Huo Juanjia Knightly?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-02, 00:37:03 »
I ahve seen the film before and I admit it got me to train in Kung Fu and Tai Chi for three consecutive years before training in WMA.

I can agree that both men acted Honorably, you can say Chivalrously to an extent.  One must remember that not everyone fights the same way so rules of combat vary from country or style of fighting.  This would also create standards of Honor that come from these fighting arts and rules of combat that define a "fair fight".   
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-03, 19:56:13 »
I think it depends on what definition of chivalry applies to you; I deem both men to have behaved honorably...and I suppose you could find chivalry in just about anything if you're looking for it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-03, 23:11:40 »
To me it shows when Huo stops the fight to give back the sword though he didn't have to and when Tanaka refuses to win taking an Honorable loss over a Dishonorable win.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-04, 13:58:30 »
I must've missed something in that tea conversation...I didn't see any swords at all.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-04, 15:06:49 »
I must've missed something in that tea conversation...I didn't see any swords at all.

Words were their swords and no one was killed.  That is acting honorably.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-04, 16:49:35 »

I could not find a video of their fight at the end of the film in which the fight magnificently but switch weapons accidentally. Huo does OK with a katana but Tanaka is overwhelmed by a three section staff. Huo stops the fight and offers to exchange weapons, and Tanaka agree's. It ends with Huo being poisoned by the other team, Tanaka figuring this out (and being really pissed off that his men acted so dishonorably), then watching as Huo uses a move that would have killed Tanaka had Huo not pulled it out of respect.

Tanaka acts up the hit, then declares Huo the winner and sotto-voice a threat to his side if they contest the decision.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-04, 18:12:00 »

Words were their swords and no one was killed.  That is acting honorably.   ;)

Words by themselves cannot kill- at least, not without the presence of a realistic threat.  ;)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-04, 20:28:24 »
Words by themselves cannot kill- at least, not without the presence of a realistic threat.

Good point there.  ;)

I could not find a video of their fight at the end of the film in which the fight magnificently but switch weapons accidentally. Huo does OK with a katana but Tanaka is overwhelmed by a three section staff. Huo stops the fight and offers to exchange weapons, and Tanaka agree's. It ends with Huo being poisoned by the other team, Tanaka figuring this out (and being really pissed off that his men acted so dishonorably), then watching as Huo uses a move that would have killed Tanaka had Huo not pulled it out of respect.

Tanaka acts up the hit, then declares Huo the winner and sotto-voice a threat to his side if they contest the decision.

I remember that scene and it really shows how true martial artists should act in any contest.  The same thing applies to HEMA as well.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-04, 20:35:35 »
Now, this particular Queen's words have killing power.  :)

« Last Edit: 2012-05-04, 20:35:47 by Sir William »

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-05-04, 21:02:27 »
Now, this particular Queen's words have killing power.

Yep, they do in a very subtle and precise manner, very nice!  :D
Knight of The Lion Blade