"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Sometimes it sucks being the good guy.  (Read 12452 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Sometimes it sucks being the good guy.
« Reply #15 on: 2012-04-14, 21:45:41 »
Found on the Armour Archive on the same topic:

Quote from: Baron Alejandro
Quote from: Eltz-Kempenich
My beef with the McMannus Bros is that they are operating within a framework of justice their own design and is not necessarily universally held. The Rule of Law, in the US, is paramount and (for the most part) held in consensus. The McMannus Bros act partly from vengeance, a particular brand of Christian ethic that is seemingly informed by their experiences with the IRA in Ireland, and from a strange if not admirable sense of social justice. While I can kinda empathize with them, their sense of justice is not one I, nor most people, agree with.

One man's vengeance is another man's justice. The actions of the McManus brothers strike me as very chivalrous, especially a lot of early chivalry. Chivalry is the valueset of the frontier, where the rule of law is vestigial and ineffective. Righteousness becomes defined as; he who does more is more worthy. It can be twisted to read as 'might makes right', but again; one man's vengeance.

It's much more interesting to view Boondock Saints through the lens of a culture clash; Irish vs. Italian.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2012-04-14, 22:34:14 »
One man's vengeance is another man's justice.

Perfect.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #17 on: 2015-07-07, 07:05:23 »
I think that Stark's actions were knightly. That man was a deserter, per the law, he was to be killed. Stark did his duties and upheld the law. He also administered punishment with his own hands, despite how horrible the act was. That is how a knight should act.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #18 on: 2015-07-07, 21:21:33 »
One man's vengeance is another man's justice.

Perfect.

Seconded. God's justice prevails over that of men. His laws are those we base ours upon in the legal & moral sense. So they should coincide without contradiction, hypocrisy, or misinterpretation. Even if we are not worthy to judge those amongst us who violate God's laws, it must be done (in this life and/or the next) to ensure we maintain our humanity, devotion, and honor to his sacrifice for our salvation. No sin goes unpunished or forgotten if one wishes to seek forgiveness and redemption. Root the evil from amongst mankind's nature to better find the divine virtue and understand the sacrifice that was made for our salvation. 

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. (Let justice be done).
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)