"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: NHSC 2012: National Historical Swordsmanship Convention 2012 7/5-7/8  (Read 14181 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Hello everyone,
Tom Leoni and I are pleased to announce that we have the National Historical Swordsmanship Convention (NHSC, pronounced "Nisk") website up. The event will be held July 5-8 at the Virginia Academy of Fencing, just south of Washington DC.

This year's theme: The Judicial Duel. Classes will revolve around the context of this historical trial by combat, and there will be lectures on historical laws and customs as well as methods of historical training and fitness regiments. Tom Leoni in particular will be bringing his extensive and fascinating research of the duel in Germany and Italy to the table, giving students an important insight into a central pillar of these martial arts.

Like last year, we will be using the martial arts methods from 15th and 16th century sources for both the German Liechtenauer school and the Bolognese school of fencing, where each class builds off of the previous ones in a cohesive manner. We will cover the unarmed, dagger, the messer, the Bolognese spada da filo (what many today call a "sidesword"), the quarterstaff, the spear, poleaxe, sword and shield and the 16th century spadone (great sword). Also like last year, students will get the opportunity to handle antique weapons and armor. This is a great opportunity that few people get to experience, and gives a new perspective to the arts we practice.

Most important to this event is the training methodology. This event is not just a collection of techniques, but rather an integrated learning enviroment where you learn how to make the art "your own". You will be learning drills to help you go from beyond memorizing techniques to truly internalizing these martial arts and bringing the skills to the table in your fencing.

New to this year are a few notable things:
-We are happy to announce our special guest instructor will be Christian Tobler, who will be teaching the techniques of German poleaxe for armored combat.

-As the above announcement implies, this event will have opportunities for students to integrate armored combat skills into their training. Armor is not at all required for this event, but if you have it, then you should bring it!

-The event is now four days, with a specific theme for each day (see below). You can register for all four days (which is encouraged, and is the most economical), or you can register per day if you can't make all four days. Registration is not yet open, but will be shortly!

Please visit our website at: www.vafinc.com/nhsc.php, and "like" our Facebook page!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Excellent!  This was a lot of fun last year. I really liked how the classes flowed into each other, building off of each others concepts. This I think makes it great for beginners in particular, but still very enjoyable with plenty to learn for more advanced students as well.

I highly encourage people to check it out of they can.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Looks fun! Too bad it's so very far awayfrom me  and it conflicts with the Antir/West War in Oregon which I need to attend if I can. It would be a good reason to see all the family I have in the area.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-03, 20:09:51 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
This is excellent!  Das Bill, I am most certain I will be there in full attendance.  I am not sure if one of my instructors at SIGMA will be there, but I am confident I will be there.  I cannot wait to learn on Judicial Combat in the 16th Century, especially in Italy which is one of the areas of my private research. 

I testify to Christian Tobler's extensive knowledge on the German weapons including the Poleaxe which I know is an excellent treat. I think this is an excellent opportunity in which I am proud to say I am going!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Registration isn't open yet, but what I'm thinking I might do is register for the second half of it. Two days of the more advanced portion sounds great. But I'll need to see what the pricing looks like.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Registration opened:

http://www.vafinc.com/nhsc.php

Yep, I think I'm signing up for the second half, as the Saturday/Sunday option. It'll be a blast!

I highly recommend this event to those who can go.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-26, 02:58:49 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Thanks for posting that, Ed! I was on my way here to post about it, but I see you've got me covered!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
I will be registering for all four days in a week or two. 

I know it will be a blast!  ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
As will I...for at least part of it.  Looks like I'll need to register for it on-site, so either this weekend or the next, after class.  I'd love to attend all four days but it will not be possible.  I'll shoot for Saturday and Sunday.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-26, 15:55:14 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
As will I...for at least part of it.  Looks like I'll need to register for it on-site, so either this weekend or the next, after class.  I'd love to attend all four days but it will not be possible.  I'll shoot for Saturday and Sunday.

Well this is beginning to look quite like an adventure, me attending the event to primarily learn the Bolognese Swordsmanship tradition (single sidesword, sword and buckler, sword and rotella, Polearms and Spadone) which is my new found interest (I still practice my German Longsword), I am also meeting in person (on the weekend portion of the event) Sirs Edward and William!   ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
So you'll be there Sir Joshua?  Excellent...always good to meet fellow brothers-in-arms!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Excellent...always good to meet fellow brothers-in-arms!

Yep, proud to say I will be there in person and for all four days.  It is good to meet with Brethren in Arms.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
The NHSC website has been updated to include the schedule of classes on each day. For the most part, each day follows the same rough schedule, with a different focus for each day.

Some of the descriptions are still "coming soon", and we will also be adding some lectures eventually, but it should give you a good idea of what to expect for each day. Note that, just like last year, each class builds off of the previous class so that they are cohesive.

http://www.vafinc.com/nhsc_classes.php

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Thank you Das Bill!  This is great info!  Now I am all the more excited to be there!  Can't wait to see you, Sir Edward and Sir William there!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Is anyone else besides me, Sir Edward and Sir William attending NHSC or planning to?

Let me know and maybe we could form it (with Sir Edward's approval) in a Order trip.
Knight of The Lion Blade