"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Custom Smith Mike Pikula Closed  (Read 6212 times)

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
Custom Smith Mike Pikula Closed
« on: 2012-03-09, 02:31:50 »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but very talented blade smith Michael Pikula shut his doors today http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=25464.

Theres more of this to come.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: Custom Smith Mike Pikula Closed
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-09, 03:18:55 »
Will this ever end?  My heart goes out to him and all of the other talented individuals struggling during these times.

Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-09, 03:57:34 »
I don't recognize the name, but a lot of people there spoke highly of him. So many places closing up in the last few years. :(
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-09, 04:03:08 »

Yeah, I fear this won't be the last. The whole industry is taking it hard right now.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-09, 11:49:16 »
Whoa whoa whoa.... let's not get ahead of ourselves and make assumptions here.  Michael's initial post was very vague and everyone just assumed it was an economy thing.  Keep reading that thread to his second post later on and you'll see it's not quite the doomsday scenario everyone jumped on without any information.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-09, 13:31:45 »
Whoa whoa whoa.... let's not get ahead of ourselves and make assumptions here.  Michael's initial post was very vague and everyone just assumed it was an economy thing.  Keep reading that thread to his second post later on and you'll see it's not quite the doomsday scenario everyone jumped on without any information.

Ian, I am glad that this has turned out not to be the case. This " Thank you very much to everyone that has supported me and my work in the past! "  from Michaels post has a very " so long its been good to know ya " feel. Certainly left me with the impression he was done, perhaps a better choice of words was needed. I'm glad Michael's sticking with it.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-09, 14:43:17 »

Awesome, that's good to hear. I didn't go and read the thread, so thanks for clearing that up!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-09, 15:24:56 »
Well, I'm glad to hear he hasn't closed shop; I am not a fan of his work, it does not appeal to me, but I do recognize his ability, and there are plenty more who vouch for him.  For me, that is good enough.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-03-10, 04:24:36 »
His second post was not there when Allan or I posted. Glad to hear he is not fading away.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-03-10, 12:48:28 »
His second post was not there when Allan or I posted. Glad to hear he is not fading away.

I realize this, but my main point was, try not to jump to conclusions without the information. Everyone on the thread, (not just you guys) just piled on to the assumption of worst possible outcome before Michael even explained anything.  All that usually winds up doing is steering the thread down a path that has little to do with the reality of a situation and leads to a lot of confusion and distress until the facts emerge. Kinda like what Fox News and CNN do to every story they report... lol  :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #10 on: 2012-03-11, 13:56:12 »
Whew, thought we lost another one! Glad he's still putting out blades!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2012-03-12, 00:22:23 »
His post seemed pretty ominous and straight forward, between the "no longer accepting commissions" and thanking everyone for their past support. It was hard to see any other meaning in it, but it's good it worked out, at least partially. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-03-14, 16:22:41 »
Also hard not to jump to conclusions given the current economic climate and the number of custom shops that have folded to date, Allan being the latest in a line that was far too long before he entered it.

Again, I'm glad to hear this is not yet the case for Mr. Pikula; but I certainly understand the dog piling, as it were.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-03-14, 18:04:47 »
Also hard not to jump to conclusions given the current economic climate and the number of custom shops that have folded to date, Allan being the latest in a line that was far too long before he entered it.

Again, I'm glad to hear this is not yet the case for Mr. Pikula; but I certainly understand the dog piling, as it were.

Yep, agreed. Even though Pikula isn't "closing", if he's not taking orders, and only doing things when he feels like it, it's gone from a business to a hobby and the business is basically closed. Not even really the same thing, and for people like me who have an interest in a very limited selection of weapons, it makes the chances of getting something I'd want from him virtually nil, and crosses him off my list of potential merchants to buy from.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-03-14, 19:29:12 »
Mad Matt did the same thing for a while...I talked him into my commission because it was a high enough dollar amount to pull him out of his semi-retirement.  My understanding is that he is back taking commissions...so maybe we'll see Michael back in the swing of things one day.