"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Joan of Arc anyone?  (Read 5838 times)

mortuary3

• New Forum Member
Joan of Arc anyone?
« on: 2008-06-23, 18:43:54 »
Anyone else interested in Saint Joan?  I've been slowly reading / researching more about her & the stories / myths / etc.

The whole thing I find extremely interesting from her personal story, the connection with St. Catherine and the sword, the time period in itself.

One of the most beautiful custom swords I've ever seen (IMO), is the St. Catherine sword that John Lundemo did sometime back.

Just thought I'd throw it out there......

Cheers,

Billiam

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Joan of Arc anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-23, 19:50:21 »

I had never really looked into the story/history until recently. I watched a couple of different film versions of the story, and then got the "reader's digest" version of the history from Wikipedia.

I have to say I'm disappointed with all of the film versions I've seen so far. None of them capture the intelligence, tactical genius, and wit with words that history recorded her to have. I may need to find a good book on the subject at some point.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-16, 20:02:19 »
Check out The Messenger, starring Milla Jovovich...they take some liberties with the history but I still say it was a good movie; certainly held my interest and that's saying something because I won't sit and watch just anything.  Not usually.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-16, 20:27:45 »

I agree, that was probably one of the better film adaptations. I still feel like it was missing something though. I feel like the story should be epic. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-17, 12:24:16 »
ya i liked that one, better than the TV made one for sure

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-17, 14:10:25 »
Yeah, the one with Leelee Sobieski was more lacking. Her performance was dry, and it lacked a good sense of Joan's wit and charisma. In the film, I was never convinced that she was sufficiently persuasive and charismatic to rally the troops. Instead she was more of a soft-spoken zealot, which to me didn't work. In the Milla Jovovich version, we get a better sense of her persuasiveness and the troops coming to appreciate her more believably.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-17, 18:43:04 »
I did see the Leelee Sobieski one and I agree; she didn't give the character of Joan of Arc any life, certainly no justice.  I saw her in Pan's Labyrinth and was totally underwhelmed by her.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€