"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: FS Slightly Modified Merctailor 15/16th Century Legs  (Read 10636 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: FS Slightly Modified Merctailor 15/16th Century Legs
« Reply #15 on: 2012-03-09, 15:35:55 »
Hm.  That makes sense to me; only I would think underdeveloped calves would be detrimental in the event of a fight on foot.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #16 on: 2012-03-09, 21:32:33 »
I actually think medieval armor from the actual ages would fit me better than most modern reproductions as people said at faires to me before.

Having owned ALOT of period armour ( what used to be on the site was my second collection of originals, the first got gone due to some one elses bad behavior ) theres plenty of variation in size then to. The maximillian leg I used to own fit me fine as did the munnion, the 17 century curassiers arm and pauldron assembley. Every gauntlet i've owned has been a little small but years of hammering my be a factor in that. I've owned three breast plates all late 16th or 17th century. Tow of the three fit, one on the tight side. Only the late 17th century siege breast plate fit me well. All the close helmets i've owned fit fine, the English burgeonet I owned and the cabassette that I owned were both to small.

What James said about greaves is generally true in that they can sometimes be quite narrow. The theory that he's positied as to why is one that i've heard before but can't attest to its truth or falsehood.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2012-03-10, 03:43:27 »
also think about where the armour was made and who it was made for. most of us now are what, a good healthy mix of cultures, ethnicitys or even regions that our ancestors would never have met let alone mix with. so armour is gonna fit us modern guys a lot different than periods guys.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-03-10, 04:47:20 »
What James said about greaves is generally true in that they can sometimes be quite narrow. The theory that he's positied as to why is one that i've heard before but can't attest to its truth or falsehood.

The theory isn't my own. Just repeating one I have seen or heard suggested a few times that seems to make sense to me.

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #19 on: 2012-03-10, 15:17:41 »
The theory isn't my own. Just repeating one I have seen or heard suggested a few times that seems to make sense to me.

Certainly James, and I appologize if I came off as attributing it to you. I try not to talk in absolutes regarding medieval physiology, especially in the face of so much new evidence comming to light with the wave of forensic archeology thats come on over the last 20 years, a great deal has been learned. The idea that medieval people were shorter has by and large been dealt with due to this. The common classes often were but only by vitue of poor diet and the stunted growth that came from it. The upper classes often reached 6 feet or even better due to the vastly superior diet.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-03-11, 00:57:10 »
No worries. I was not sure if you meant posted or posited so I just wanted to make sure I clarify the theory is not my own.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent