Main > The Round Table

Renaissance Chivalry?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-04-02, 14:46:08 ---Very interesting. I had similar feelings on the matter, that the Don Quixote story has more to it than just being a mockery. You see some real high ideals of Chivalry within it. I felt that the portrayal of it being a "mad man" holding onto archaic ideals was more of a lamentation of the passing of the chivalric age, than a mockery.
--- End quote ---

I’m of a similar mindset in regards to the Don Quixote story. For even if ye are mad as a hatter in the opinion of the rest of the world and tilt at windmills believing with all your heart and soul that they be dragons, then lay on says I for your mind and dreams are your very own and none should nay say you.  ;)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I’m of a similar mindset in regards to the Don Quixote story. For even if ye are mad as a hatter in the opinion of the rest of the world and tilt at windmills believing with all your heart and soul that they be dragons, then lay on says I for your mind and dreams are your very own and none should nay say you.
--- End quote ---

In that regard Sir Brian you're correct when it comes to Perseverance (or persevering to the Code of Chivalry). 

My reason for this post is to show that Don Quixote was a satire on the mockery of Chivalry which to me does justice for those that truly lived by the Code and never gave lip service in the pursuit of vanity.

This a research update and an update on the essay.  Firstly, the essay will be out somwhere in mid-May, i will publish it on my facebook (in Notes) and will more likely post it on our facebook group wall.  It is coming along well and I have been finding a mountain of knowledge that to me has never been given attention and I have found numerous biographies of real Renaissance Knights that lived by the Code as best they can in a changing world.  Their names will be mentioned in the essay.  Events and Battles will be included and my goal is to spur the reader to research or to spark interest on the Renaissance in which the Knight fought with both Pistol and Sword (The Military History part of the essay I think will surprise a lot of people).  So expect the essay in mid to late May!  :D

Secondly, I came across these videos while doing research on three monumental battles that occurred during the Renaissance.  This is about the Ottoman Turkish Wars against Europe, these three battles have been covered by two documentaries (both from the History Channel) and a tribute video that the first naval battle in European history.  Here they are in chronological order.  (I hope you enjoy them!)

This event although past the Renaissance, is an interesting battle that brought about the end of the Ottoman Turkish Wars.

As you know me, thoughts, comments, questions and suggestion are always welcome. 

I must point out that I am not proclaiming on this forum hatred towards the ethnicity mentioned in these videos.  I have done my homework and I present only the facts.  I hope that you enjoy the videos in the light of gaining insight about the Renaissance and to show how Chivalry survived on the Battlefield with Gunpowder weapons.  I ask that you watch the videos (when you can) in its entirety before responding.  Thank you. 

Joshua Santana:
If the videos are arduous to watch (as in no one has the time to watch all four), I will include a couple of individuals that are Chivalrous individuals that lived during the Renaissance. 

I will begin with the Captain of the Holy League at the Battle of Lepanto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Juan_of_Austria

Hope you enjoy it! 

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Joshua Santana:
Here is another Renaissance Knight that I came across during my research in Renaissance Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_dalle_Bande_Nere

What is interesting about this individual is that he was a Condottiero or Mercenary Knight yet he helped his country in their struggle for Independence.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condottieri for further info)

His death from infection from a gunshot wound to his leg heralded the end of the Condotteiri.  His last words which were recorded by a friend of his is now accessible through Freelance Academy Press here: http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/DeathOfGiovanni.aspx

Joshua Santana:
Here is another Renaissance Knight that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. 

Sir James Scudamore (1568–1619)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_James_Scudamore

What is interesting about this guy is that he aspired to be a Chivalrous Courtier like Sir Philip Sydney (who I will touch on later).  When Sir Philip Sydney died, he carried is arms during his funeral procession, seeing himself as his successor he emulated the Chivalric Ideals to the best of his ability, even becoming a prolific jouster and courtier.  It should be noted that he did serve in the army and was involved in the Capture of Cadiz against Spain. 

Read the rest of the article, it is a awesome story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version