"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Pennsic 2008  (Read 10312 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Pennsic 2008
« on: 2008-06-16, 20:46:26 »

Kat and I haven't decided what we're doing this year yet (we're preregistered though). Anyone here planning on going to Pennsic this year?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Pennsic 2008
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-17, 03:07:31 »
always wanted to go. but 100 bucks for a day's shopping trip... i just can't do it hehehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-17, 03:11:16 »

That's why you go for a week. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-17, 03:35:21 »
I'd really like to go back sometime. I went to Pennsic XXX and XXXI (the second one was when I met Christian, come to think of it). Had a blast, but I just haven't made it back since. And to be honest, WMA events the past few years have taken a large chunk of my vacation time, and that's been more important to me than Pennsic, so its been hard to justify taking the extra days off. Plus, summer is the busiest time for me.

Still, I really do want to go again at some point. Maybe in another year or so, we'll see.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-17, 14:39:02 »

That's basically how it's been for us too. We went two years ago, and it was our first time. We had a great time, but sometimes scheduling is difficult and there are lots of other things we want to do too. We were there for about 4 days last time, which we roughly evenly split up as shopping days and class/tutorial days (during the daytimes anyway).

Here's our pics from 2006 if you'd like to see:

http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?gallery=2006.pennsic
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-07-06, 21:53:54 »
Well, we've decided we're going to go ahead and go, and use our preregistration. :) We'll be there probably around August 2-7.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2008-07-07, 00:41:04 »
I was just thinking about Pennsic recently. Definatley not going to happen for me this year.

Have fun!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-08-01, 15:04:36 »
See you in a week, Ed. Enjoy Pennsic!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2008-08-01, 15:37:27 »

Thanks, have a good week everyone! I'll probably be checking in with the forum through tomorrow morning. We're making tomorrow our travel day.

I'll be sure to take pictures.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2008-08-01, 15:41:38 »
kewl. remember to seek out the good kits and take lots of pics :)  also check out the dealers and see if theres any sales (and maybe call some people with them hint hint ehhehehe) have fun, be safe, and stay away from the swimming hole/lake or you could be in for a shock of your life ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2008-08-08, 15:09:41 »

Well, we're back! We had a great time. Just like our previous trip to Pennsic, we hardly sat still, or spent any significant time in the camp. We kept very busy with classes and shopping, as well as other activities such as test-shooting my crossbow at the archery range. By the time we'd get back to our camp, it would be dark, and we'd be exhausted.

I didn't take as many pictures this year, but I tried to capture some of the view from various places. I haven't edited the photos yet, but did a quick batch-upload to get it started, so there's some duplicates and shots that didn't turn out well. (http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?gallery=2008.pennsic)

I found Christian and saw his new armor purchase (very nice, by the way), and met some of the other folks at the Revival booth, and also spoke with Greg Mele a bit. I also met Jeff Hedgecock, and asked him about pointing the voiders and so forth, and probably came off as a total noob. :) I ran into James Barker as well, and reminded him that I still have his poleaxe. :)

I still haven't taken the time to watch the battles, so I'll have to do that on a future trip.

I did however manage to get over to the College of Heralds tent and register my heraldry, and a scadian name (necessary to do the arms). I'm doing this mostly to protect the uniqueness of it, of course.

What a great time!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2008-08-10, 03:33:28 »

One of our camp-members posted a large collections of photos. He ran around with a DSLR camera, and had built a tripod-screw into the top of a walking stick to make a period-looking monopod. :)  (http://moringello-east.no-ip.com:8080/start/WhatsNew/2008/pennsic_xxxvii/index_world.htm)

The shopping was was interesting this year, and I kept my spending under control. I bought myself some new tunics, a new leather belt, a quiver for my crossbow bolts, and more bolts to put in it. I also grabbed a copy of the Krotchpunt Fechtbuch. :) I was tempted by lots of little things that I passed up (for instance, do I really need more spurs and chains?).

I didn't see a whole lot of mail for sale, but one booth had a pretty decent selection. Unfortunately most of it was still packaged in plastic, so I didn't get a good look. However, the aluminum hauberk they had on display had sleeves that were tapered to the elbow, and then simple tubes down to the wrists from there. I didn't think to ask who the manufacturer was. I should have done that.

Most of the rest of the armor for sale was of course aimed primarily at the SCA heavy combat folks. The helms had the standard bar-grill faces, for instance, and other armor pieces were generally of very thick gauge. I didn't take pictures in the booths, since I wasn't sure if the shopkeepers would frown on that, and felt silly asking, especially since they were nearly constantly busy with customers when I saw interesting things. I was very tempted to sneak a shot when I saw another well-endowed breastplate for Pamela. :)

I saw a booth with a full set of legs including case greaves. I asked about the greaves, and he said they run about $1500, and have to be custom fitted. He was amazed when I didn't flinch. I know how hard they are to get right.

The swords, as expected, were nothing to write home about in most cases, especially in the "yard sale" sort of booths where they have a little of many different kinds of merchandise, but don't specialize in anything. About the best of it was the Hanwei training blunts you can get anywhere. In terms of sword shops, we found Badger Blades, which we see all the time at MDRF, and of course there is Darkwood Armory, where we enjoyed handling some of the toys.

Historic Enterprises had garb, but no armor except for a single standard and a single fauld. The standard was of the older 6mm ring size instead of the new 9mm size that would match the voiders and fauld I already have, otherwise I'd have probably bought it on the spot.

It was nice to once again see so many archery booths. That's something you don't see a whole lot of at the renfaires. At Pennsic, there is a great deal of archery supplies to be had, including crossbows. Kingslayer, the crossbow maker who made mine, wasn't there this year. It's a shame. His crossbows are really gorgeous.

And of course, the Revival Clothing booth is always a huge pleasure to visit too. :)

Midnight madness was interesting to finally get to see. We were a little disappointed though, because the sales weren't really that meaningful. Most shops were either absorbing the sales tax, or offering some useless trinket with a purchase. Only a few were doing store-wide 10% off deals, or something similar. Many didn't participate at all, except to stay open that evening. Nothing I bought was discounted. Some of our purchases prior to that were free of sales tax anyway, since PA exempts clothing and footwear from sales tax.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Christian Tobler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: 2008-08-11, 15:16:26 »
Hi Ed,

It was great seeing you at Pennsic!

We didn't do anything special this Midnight Madness either. Last year, we (Revival Clothing) did a raffle, but the problem is that these can be anti-climactic when the winner isn't actually there at midnight. So, this year, we did a lower key drawing on Thursday instead.

We've also found, as have other vendors, that the same folks come out, whether there's a 'deal' or not. So a discount makes you lose money and produces no real incremental sales.

I'm guessing you saw the leg harness over at Anshelm Arms, based on the price. And you likely talked with Garreth. My reaction to the price was "yep, that's about right..."

I ended up with the 6mm standard, btw. ;)

Take care,

Christian

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2008-08-11, 17:34:17 »

Hey, it was great to see you too, Christian!

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that the 6mm standard found a good home. I was quite tempted, but decided to hold out for the 9mm later (Jeff said maybe October).

Some of our camp-mates had made Midnight Madness sound like a night to get some crazy-good deals, so we were mildly misled, I think. :) But that certainly makes sense about the economics of the discounts. I had done most of my shopping prior to it anyway, but it's still an interesting event with the musical acts and night-time shopping.

It'll probably be a couple of years before we return. We're mixing in a variety of other vacations these next few summers. But that'll probably help keep the whole event fresh and interesting. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III