"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: This .. is .. Sparta! 14th Century Mafia style...  (Read 8331 times)

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
Re: This .. is .. Sparta! 14th Century Mafia style...
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-12, 18:17:21 »
The SCA in general does not allow striking from behind, also no kicking or striking on the lower leg. In something like the 30 the participants do ignore the from behind rules but that is one special case. Really cannot compare SCA to what the BotN does.

But yes I understand few people are surprised by another fighter in MMA I am just referring to how brutal the attack was, it is not any more brutal than TDK at the high level or MMA is my point. Seen way harder hits in martial arts and boxing. BotN is amateur hour compared to the training the boxers and martial artists do and they are not pulling strikes either.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-12, 19:01:46 »
I've never watched any MMA, boxing or other things like that, so my visual calibration of pain is probably off by comparison.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-12, 20:42:13 »
Actually, in MMA, boxing and kickboxing, when sparring, you generally go no more than 50 to 70% of force- you're training, not in battle, there's no reason to go full-out unless you're trying to actively injure someone.

I didn't bother mentioning it but Ian makes a great point- that was a cheapshot; any shot delivered from behind could be considered a cheapshot in training, in battle, not so much.  Which is why my first comment was that I thought the receiver of said shot should be allowed to feel some kind of way about that.  I know I would.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-12, 20:42:39 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€