"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Revival Clothing joined hose  (Read 4712 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Revival Clothing joined hose
« on: 2008-06-16, 00:44:43 »

So I tried out my brand new pair of joined hose from Revival Clothing today. I've been using one of the dark blue pairs so far this year, and decided to get a black pair as well, which just arrived this week. I just wanted to make an observation. The black pair seems to be made out of a less elastic material than the blue ones. I ordered the small/medium, as before, but this one barely was able to stretch to the right length (and stretch to accommodate my size 12 clown feet). As I pulled on it, I think I heard a couple of stitches pop. It all seems OK, I just have to be careful not to to really yank on it. The blue ones were more like the stretchy tights that I'm used to, in that I could stretch it more on the lower leg, and let it sit more relaxed on the thighs, so that it doesn't migrate up or down on my legs. The black ones aren't migrating, because they have a very good waist band, but they don't behave like the stretchy tights the way the blue ones do.

And I still think the codpieces are in the wrong place. :)

Just some observations. Anyone else experience what I'm talking about?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
Re: Revival Clothing joined hose
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-16, 01:08:40 »
Just some observations. Anyone else experience what I'm talking about?

Not with that specific product.  I have to tell you that I am quite amused to hear a gentleman complain about hose and how it fits, or doesn't fit.  I've been complaining about hose for years.  :)
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-16, 03:50:59 »
hmmm i wonder if the blue are cut on the bias and allows for more stretch in the material.

about the cod piece. do u think its too far forward, making it ride high? or placed too far back making the top seem "low"  not to be too "gay" about the subject but it should have a gore that goes in between the legs allowing the codpiece to "cup the boys" as it was. if they are still in the leg parts then yes the codpiece prob is in the wrong place.  my 15thc wool ones are made right. it does seem ODD and even EXPOSED but they do work well.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-16, 04:01:57 »

The codpiece seems high to me. Like you have to yank the top down to make use of the opening, to use the restroom, etc :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-16, 04:09:40 »
hmmmm is the bottom of the codpiece flat? wear it is sewn onto the legs? I'm wondering if you can take them apart and add a triangle. putting the bottom of the cod and the flat of the triangle together and slit the seam between the legs a little bit and insert the point of the triangle and then sew that up. thus adding cupping room and you can slide the cod piece down and back a tad.  make since? 

I've seen a lot of pictures of hosen that look like the codpiece comes up too high in the front. i guess the wearers are modest etc and afraid of showing too much. but it really doesn't work so well with the form of the hosen. remember, when these things were made it was HIGH FASHION :) young men liked to dress to show off their bodies. all of it, but still be covered. their waistlines were low, the hosen were tight, the doublets were tight and some had large shoulders looking buff, the gown lengths were short all to show off the legs, butt and "boys". look at the purses and daggers, all very much resemble the male anatomy.