"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: 13 Assassins  (Read 6806 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
13 Assassins
« on: 2011-11-13, 02:17:27 »
I watched "13 Assassins" yesterday. It's a Japanese film (with subtitles), and it's very similar in concept to "7 Samurai", except instead of saving a town from marauders, the samurai are hired to assassinate a cruel and tyrannical leader.

The film gets pretty bloody at some moments, but the story is well told, the action scenes are well done, and it does explore some of the moral dilemmas involved in the story. The evil bad guy has a Samurai working for him as his protector, who sees loyalty and duty to his lord as the highest ideal of the samurai. The one who is hired to assemble a team to assassinate the bad guy instead sees the greater good of the people as being paramount.

You do see a lot of the samurai mentality (bushido) throughout the story. How much they're willing to sacrifice their lives for a cause. And when a very young samurai wants to join, at first the leader good guy says "he's too young", to which another samurai says "of course you know that a samurai's life is not measured in length". To which they all agree. :)

I forgot the exact wording, but there was this great line in there where the good guys are about to start slaughtering the enemy army, and say something like "We commemorate you with arrows". :)

Anyway, Netflix has it. It's worth watching.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-13, 02:19:42 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 13 Assassins
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-13, 15:14:00 »
It's on my watch list as soon as I sign up for a NetFlix account, since Wild Hunt is on there too. Good to hear another positive review for it. I never saw it mentioned that it's subtitled, though, so I'll have to make sure I can devote extra attention to it (and not working on mail or forums or multi-tasking). Last film I saw like that was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and I felt like I probably missed some subtle parts in the acting since my eyes were fixed on the subtitles most of the time.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-16, 15:13:34 »
I saw this a number of months back; I felt it was a strong film and really enjoyed it. The battle at the end between school mates over honor was amazing.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-16, 16:06:27 »
Looking forward to adding this to the collection then.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€