"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: three musketeers  (Read 8875 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: three musketeers
« Reply #15 on: 2012-01-01, 21:58:47 »
Well I am back from college and I have a lot to post!

I lieu of this post, I have seen Three Musketeers and I thought that the producers have destroyed the film with Steampunk, kung- film style filming and with visual effects.  Thsi spurned me to read the book itself.  But I couldn't afford the time to read a  64 chapter book.  So I decided to donwload the audiobook from this website which does have some meideval and renaissance literature for free.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/home 

I listened to the entire audiobook and I am shocked at how in the book, there is plenty of action, suspense and history interwoven into the story that the film producers overlooked.  I understand that this is their attempt to revive interest in the book (which in reality is the first of three books called the D'Artagnan Romances), but I believe this attempt is feeble and does great injustice to the film. 

Is it entertaining? Yes. 

Is it close to the original story? No, you must read the book or cheat by listening to the audiobook to understand it.

(On a final note, the swordplay in the film with our Das Bill in agreement is atrocious)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #16 on: 2012-01-02, 14:58:12 »
I`ll wait untill this is on the bargain shelf in the dvd library then  ::)
G.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-02, 20:50:31 by Sir Gerard de Rodes »
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2012-01-02, 18:19:41 »
:)