Main > The Round Table

Walking Dead Series: {WARNING SPOILER ALERT}

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

It's a tough call in this one.

James, the situation is that Otis (the one who got sacrificed) accidentally had shot the kid (Carl), and so when they needed medical supplies for the kid, he felt bound to set things right and go get the supplies. Shane went with him. Throughout the excursion to get the supplies, there were several moments where it looked like they might leave one of them behind, Shane even yelling at Otis to get going, but Otis wouldn't leave him. Then, when they were down to their last round of ammo each, Shane shot Otis in the leg to leave him as a distraction for the zombies, so he could take the supplies back to save the kid. If he hadn't they probably would have both died, and so would the kid.

It's a tough call and I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. Shane is a "get things done" kind of guy, and sometimes a loose cannon, but mostly has his heart in the right place. I think he's sort of mentally adopted the kid too.

The biggest problem I have is that he didn't give Otis the choice. Otis was such a good guy, and wanted to set things right, that he might have chosen to stay back, but Shane made a quick and ruthless tactical choice and decided for him.

The thing that's not clear, is how much of Shane's decision was motivated by saving the kid, and how much was self-preservation. There's nothing wrong with self-preservation of course, but how would we feel about Shane's choice had there not been a kid's life at stake? Or if Otis wasn't the one responsible (accidental as the situation was)?

In the end, he saved the kid, and he's going to be haunted by what he did. Yet another secret he has to keep from his friends. I'm wondering if one or two of the folks in that farm house might join the group, perhaps the attractive young lady? He'll have to keep it secret from them for sure.

What he did was both wrong and right. He did something unthinkable for the greater good. But also selfishly. Wow.

This is why I love this show. The writing is awesome.

Sir William:
I'll have to check this show out...not being 'in' with all of the info, I'd have to second Shane's decision.  As you said, it was Otis' actions that led them to that particular juncture...he wanted to set things right so Shane made sure he did.  Ruthless?  Maybe.  Tactical?  Certainly.  A good choice?  Yes.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-11-01, 14:45:09 ---...

It's a tough call and I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. Shane is a "get things done" kind of guy, and sometimes a loose cannon, but mostly has his heart in the right place. I think he's sort of mentally adopted the kid too.

The biggest problem I have is that he didn't give Otis the choice. Otis was such a good guy, and wanted to set things right, that he might have chosen to stay back, but Shane made a quick and ruthless tactical choice and decided for him.

The thing that's not clear, is how much of Shane's decision was motivated by saving the kid, and how much was self-preservation. There's nothing wrong with self-preservation of course, but how would we feel about Shane's choice had there not been a kid's life at stake? Or if Otis wasn't the one responsible (accidental as the situation was)?

--- End quote ---

Finally watched this episode last night.  It seemed a little cold-blooded to me.  I understand the argument of making the tough tactical decision in order to save the kid, etc... There are some details missing that could be important if we want to get nit-picky.  How far away was the vehicle when Shane made the decision to shoot Otis?  They were both hobbling at this point from presumed ankle injuries from their respective falls.  The moment when Shane fires the shot, they seemed to be well ahead of the advancing zombie horde... could they have made it to the car together?  Did Shane shoot Otis simply because he wasn't sure, got scared, and wanted to guarantee he made it?

The thing is, Shane shoots him and spends an awful lot of time wresting the supplies from the now doomed Otis.  Valuable time that had they continued on together could have resulted in them both making it to the truck.  The impression I got was that the shooting was more motivated by self-preservation than a motivation to save the kid.  It's a very real and understandable human emotion, but I didn't feel like Shane was acting out of some sense of honor and 'making the tough call.'  At the end of the day, the original shooting of the kid was also an accident, and I know people want to place blame on someone for everything bad that happens, but the reality is terrible accidents happen, and Otis didn't deserve his fate.

SirNathanQ:
I will be the odd one out on this one. I believe that is was a completely unchivalrous action, and the wrong this to do. I believe betrayal is wrong, no matter what the circumstances.
I would have not done that. I would rather perish without the stain of a coward and a betrayer than live with those at the expense of those who trust in me.

Sir James A:
Wow, there is a lot more behind it than just that part. If they really were wrestling over the supplies during the last moments, seems like there would have been no need to sacrifice anyone. I might have to file this in the "you wouldn't know unless you were in the situation" category.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version