Main > The Round Table

Christian Chivalry: Reviving The Knightly Virtues

<< < (2/2)

Sir Matthew:
It is well said indeed. Would that all followed half the ideals expressed there.

SirNathanQ:
I also like it very much.
 "A knight is dedicated to the slaying of the dragon of evil." is my favorite.  :D
"A knight hates injustice and battles the unjust, loves innocence and protects human needs." Another very good one.  :)

"A knight’s honor is high; he would rather lose a battle than win it by trickery, dishonesty or lies." This one is tricky for me. While to win in an unchivalrous manner would be unacceptable to me, there is a fine like between cunning and trickery  ;)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-10-28, 19:31:51 ---"A knight’s honor is high; he would rather lose a battle than win it by trickery, dishonesty or lies." This one is tricky for me. While to win in an unchivalrous manner would be unacceptable to me, there is a fine like between cunning and trickery  ;)

--- End quote ---

This is true. :) There was a fine line historically as well. The greatest honor was winning, assuming we're talking about war. It would be expected that you'd fight with whatever methods you have available to you, and do your best to win. In tournament, obviously cheating would be unchivalrous, but you'd also be expected to fight your best.

So yeah, fine line. :)

Sir William:
Besides, some would argue that the use of longbowmen is cheating in the spirit of high chivalry.  LOL

Of course, it was the losing side that said so but there you have it.  ;)

SirNathanQ:
Yeah. I find stuff like that very interesting.
The greatest controversy was the crossbow in period.
Longbows and bows are one thing, armour does a pretty good job on those, and they took a while to use well. Crossbows are a whole other matter. Easier to use, and the powerful ones are pretty dangerous to the unrienforced maille of the period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version