"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 12004 times)

merc3065

• Forum Member
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #15 on: 2011-10-28, 12:52:46 »
I didn't quite understand what bingo wings are to begin with.

But I threaded some leather cord through the cuffs of the sleeves last night so I can cinch them up to my wrists a little better.
The gambeson I have is an XL so it's pretty bulky and the chain shirt fits relatively snug when I wear the gambeson.
I had to make the neck on the hauberk bigger so I could fit through easier, and then shortened the sleeves about 2" and everything fits super nice now.  Also had to lower the face opening in my coif so that it would stop snagging my beard.

Thanks for all the info!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2011-10-28, 18:39:50 »
You've got a great start for a kit. My first armor was carpet covered in duct tape. :eek:

The plate you said is the "lower thigh", the name is cuisse - I can spell/type it, but don't ask me how to pronounce it. ;)

Bingo wings are the "floppy" part of the sleeves that pulls away from the body, sort of like wearing a shirt thats 5 sizes too large. Mail would be tailored to fit just like cloth. It's not hard, but it is time consuming. Boy, is it ever time consuming.

The center tasset, the only one I've ever seen mildly similar historically is the Pistoia Altarpiece cuirass. (Mad Matt has a replica here: http://www.madmattsarmory.com/inv_body.php). I'm very much an armor addict, and it's the only piece I've ever seen with a "center" tasset. The center would be left as just mail, as it's flexible and means you can get in and out of a saddle without exposing too much flesh to enemies. Same reason that they didn't usually have tassets in the rear - some cuirasses have rear faulds, but the only ones that have "complete coverage" would be the "tonlet" styled armors, designed and made specifically for foot combat at tournament. My guess is, since the armor is more of a fantasy style, it's loosely based off of a cod piece from the later ages of armor - there are a number of historical armors that have tassets on both sides and a removable codpiece in the center.

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: 2011-10-28, 18:40:06 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #17 on: 2011-10-30, 01:05:47 »
Merc,
As Sir Nathan said, it`s a good start for multi period stuff.
If you are wanting to pitch your kit in the 14th century, go for the last few decades. This period of the 100 years war has (in my opinion) the most colourful and better looking armour of the transitional period armours.

Yes guys I know I`m biased lol
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

merc3065

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2011-10-30, 19:25:57 »
Very good suggestion.  Never thought of the 100 years war.  Certainly works!

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #19 on: 2011-11-30, 02:37:11 »
Yeah, you got most of what you would need to pull it off. Check into a bascinet, and if you don't mind a little cheating to save some cash, ou can cover the innacurate cuirass with a nice big tabard or so. (or go the whole gamut and then get a nice big tabard! Oh I love em!  ;D)

And yes, Sir Gerard, we all know of your crippling late 14th century addiction  ::)
 I like both periods myself, but I'm pretty well sold on those crusades and all.    8)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Andrew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Member
Peace
« Reply #20 on: 2011-12-18, 12:49:01 »
Whew! Out of school for the semester with straight A's yet again...be awhile getting back to normal before I am back in the kitchen again. Wanted to wish everyone and their families a wonderful holiday season, and peace walk with you all, my brothers in arms!

'drew