"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Archers Falchion  (Read 10625 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Archers Falchion
« on: 2008-05-30, 16:35:05 »
http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/detail.aspx?ID=677
Windlass Steelcrafts®

In this brutal close fighting the archer needed something short for in-fighting. Most preferred a Falchion style sword that was shorter than most Medieval swords and able to deliver deadly blows and thrusts. This nicely balanced sword has a steel pommel and guard with a wood and leather grip. Well-tempered high carbon steel blade. Comes with leather and steel scabbard. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts®. Can be sharpened for additional fee.

* Overall: 28-1/2"
    * Blade: 22" long, 1-7/8" wide, 3/16" thick
    * Wt: 2 lbs/4 oz

$160.00 $79.00
(Savings: $81.00)

what do u think of this? i was really tempted to get this for my late 13th kit. I'm at lunch so i cant look at my books for reference. i wonder if they made the longer side with the fuller the sharp side like many of the ones in the finds and paintings.
« Last Edit: 2008-05-30, 16:35:45 by Sir Wolf »

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Archers Falchion
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-30, 17:11:59 »
Well, it has that "Made by Windlass" look to it, but I think at the price it could be transformed into something pretty nice with a little elbow grease. Definately rewrap the grip (in fact, I'd say you should replace it entirely, based on my experience with MRL swords). That alone would make a huge difference. You should also round the edges on the pommel more. If you have the ability, thinning out the guard subtly would make it look nicer and more like period pieces as well.

Sean Flynt on myArmoury has done quite a number of "makeovers" for Windlass pieces, and he's really shown that a cheap, close-out MRL piece can be turned into a pretty good sword if you're willing to do some work. And this particular one has certainly got the right price... I may pick one up myself...
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-30, 17:33:36 »

I still have yet to try re-gripping a sword. I'd be tempted to pick one up to experiment with, for that price.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Griff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-30, 18:45:42 »
It looks like a really good sword for close-up "work" and the steel sounds like it's of good quality. But I guess it depends on what you're intending to use it for. Reenactments and faires I suppose.

If I was an archer, however, I think I'd kill for a dagger on steroids like that.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-16, 14:41:06 »
Someone brought one of these to Chivalric Weekend, and I got to handle it. I have to say, its really nice for the close-out price! Its even better looking than I thought in person.

And unfortunately I just tried to order one, and they're sold out. Ah, well, you snooze you lose. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-16, 15:15:05 »

And unfortunately I just tried to order one, and they're sold out. Ah, well, you snooze you lose. :)

Good thing I wasn't snoozing this weekend.  ;)
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-16, 15:29:16 »
Good thing I wasn't snoozing this weekend.  ;)

Ha! Awesome.

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-16, 16:02:42 »
I may have spoken too soon.   :-[  I was getting weird error messages when I clicked track order.  I contacted customer service and received this reply:

At this time, your Sharpened Archer's Falchion (Item #500886X) is
currently on backorder. We ask that you please be patient, and we will
ship your order as soon as we receive it. You haven't been charged yet,
and won't be until we ship it.

So, I guess I just wait and see.  Hopefully "backorder" doesn't equal "sold out."  On a hopeful note, when I placed my order Saturday, it said there were 37 left in stock at that time.  <fingers crossed>
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-17, 02:56:59 »

Good luck. Hopefully they'll come through on that.

I missed my shot (trying to resist all swords until I pay off the last one on the credit card). :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )