"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: 14th Century Soft Kit - Advice Wanted  (Read 4646 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
14th Century Soft Kit - Advice Wanted
« on: 2011-08-09, 17:54:39 »
As I mentioned in Ivan's post New Shield Project, I purchased some nice medium-weight linen a while ago and I'm about to begin a sewing project.  The problem is I'm not sure what I want to make first.  My soft kit is really a mess of wrong fabrics and periods.  I'd like to start anew and focus on mid-fourteenth century England / Northern France (1340-1360).

If I may ask, what are your opinion(s) for a starting point?  I have 4 yards of natural white linen (unbleached), a sewing machine and hand sewing experience (like Ivan, I HATE it).  I've made gambesons, simple gowns, tabards, coifs, joined hose and flower-girl dresses (friend's wedding) in the past.  Where should I start, I'm at a loss?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: 14th Century Soft Kit - Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-09, 18:00:26 »
Linen under garments like long brais (to be worn under split hose) and an under tunic (shirt) should be a good place to start, I would have thought  ;)
Do you have a copy of the "Medieval Tailors Assistant" ? Well worth forking out for if you intend to make your own soft kit.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-09, 19:28:11 »
Firstly, forget French anything.  There's your start, Lord Rodney.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-09, 21:18:37 »
Firstly, forget French anything.  There's your start, Lord Rodney.  ;)
Ha! Too true. I should have been more specific: England and Brittany / Calais (English possessions by 1360).

How I wish I had a copy of The Medieval Tailors Assistant. Does anyone have a link to a good pattern?

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-09, 21:19:49 by Lord Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-10, 13:19:10 »
Brittany, Calais, fine...but not mainland France!!!  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-11, 16:27:59 »
most certainly welcome. you can tell them Chuck or "Wolf from the armour archive" sent you hehehe.

that accessories kit is a great way to get started. all the basics except for the over tunic, which i'm sure you can figure out. if not got here: http://www.larp.com/midgard/tunic.htm it would be the version with the gores in the sides and front and back  tunics dont change much till the late 14th early 15thc

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-11, 18:04:11 »
Pattern links...maybe one day I'll take up sewing.  lol
« Last Edit: 2011-08-11, 18:04:46 by Ser William »