"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Cross worn on back  (Read 21836 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Cross worn on back
« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-14, 01:38:57 »
Well in fact the Idea of what a crusade was wasn't anywhere close to being settled in 1095. The Vatican had at the time gotten around with the ideas of just war, and various benefits to those who fought in the reconquista, but not a full blown crusade.
In period they were known as armed pilgrimages, and not crusades.
The real establishment of what in fact the spiritual benefit even was (a blessing, a penance, an indulgence, ect) weren't really laid out until Pope Innocent lll really delved headfirst into the Idea. In fact the earliest uses and meaning of the term Crusade simply as a drive to create a state centered upon he city of Jerusalem.

And Just Wondering, is the source period? If so, had he personally been on Crusade, or was he simply writing a form of Documentary? If not, credentials and further examination of material. I am interested in this, but I would like to see to the sources credibility first.   
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-14, 02:29:36 »
I was talking about "recruiting" techniques, not what the main event was to be titled.  ;D

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-14, 04:07:36 »
Huzzah Frater !!! I am humbled by just how little I know. The more I read on here, the thirstier I get to learn more.

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #33 on: 2011-08-14, 13:20:40 »
Brother ECOX, Greetings an Pax vobiscum. Good to see the colors you've declared!  ;)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2011-08-14, 16:41:40 »
But still, the Papacy wasn't really in any sense recruiting. Often those leading the crusade did so without actually thinking themselves under any kind (besides spiritual) or subservience to the Vatican. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #35 on: 2011-08-14, 18:06:45 »
Maybe "recruiting" is too ambiguous a term, maybe more like; where to focus the efforts of the armed Faithful in support of long term objectives and in an intrest to up hold the focus of the Peace/Truce of God (spiritual sanctions in order to limit the violence of armed Christians and restless Chivalry against the common man and churchmen of the time).

:P ;)

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #36 on: 2011-08-14, 19:08:20 »
Tecumque amice Frater. I have always been drawn to The Templar cross with out knowing much about it. I find now that my kit has some much needed improvements. :)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #37 on: 2011-08-14, 19:54:00 »
with all the knowledge here now i'm sure you will have a 100% awesome kit in no time.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2011-08-14, 20:22:34 »
Lol, much simpler!  ;D

I just didn't like the sound of recruitment, too many inaccurate connotations could be drawn by the unknowing.

Yes, we need more military order kits! Stick with it, you'll have it in no time.   :)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #39 on: 2012-11-04, 00:25:47 »
I had a Gentleman tell me that crusaders always wore their crosses facing toward Jerusalem. IE; worn on their back when returning home. I haven't found any reference to this. The man that told was a Knight in a jousting troupe. I didn't ask a lot of questions figuring I would just Google it. Has anyone here heard of this?

Irrelevant seeing most Order knights/crusaders wearing tunics, surcoats had their crosses beared also upon their riding capes so ..... I wouldn't give that supposed practice or myth much on merit but who knows. Ritualistic practices were not commonly shared in writing outside of those who engaged in them. But it is interesting none the less.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-04, 00:31:31 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #40 on: 2012-11-04, 00:28:17 »
Well in fact the Idea of what a crusade was wasn't anywhere close to being settled in 1095. The Vatican had at the time gotten around with the ideas of just war, and various benefits to those who fought in the reconquista, but not a full blown crusade.
In period they were known as armed pilgrimages, and not crusades.
The real establishment of what in fact the spiritual benefit even was (a blessing, a penance, an indulgence, ect) weren't really laid out until Pope Innocent lll really delved headfirst into the Idea. In fact the earliest uses and meaning of the term Crusade simply as a drive to create a state centered upon he city of Jerusalem.

And Just Wondering, is the source period? If so, had he personally been on Crusade, or was he simply writing a form of Documentary? If not, credentials and further examination of material. I am interested in this, but I would like to see to the sources credibility first.

Pope Urban II would have had a great future in marketing.  ::)
« Last Edit: 2012-11-04, 00:36:06 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)