Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (20/77) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Indeed, all of the founding members have, if anything, been rather reluctant about the whole affair. As a founding member myself, I will tell you that I always felt in a way unworthy to stand as a true equal with such esteemed and worthy knights, mere stripling of a youth that I am.

I will remember the day, June 9th, 2011 on the day of the first knightings of the Order of the Marshal (months after we had first created the order, which was officially created on November 11th of the previous year) that I was asked by our Knight Commander Sir Ed and Sir Brian as when I actually started planning for my knighting.

I do not know the specifics of the other Knight-Brethren of the Order, but that is my take on it. Keep on the course, Sir John, continue with your enthusiasm. Allow us to know you, and get to know us, and all will come. The Knights of The Order of the Marshal are good and chivalrous, and recognize merit where it be found. Rest assured good Sir John, keep along the path, and do the Order honor, and you will count yourself, God willing, among her chosen Knights. 

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This weeks Knight of the week: "Sir Kuno von Liechtenstein" -Not much is known about his early life as a knight. He was a relative of Sir Urlich von Liechtenstein (more on him another time) and was a member of the Teutonic Order and served as a Grand Commander of the Order. He was one of the best swordsman of his time. He is most well known for his actions in the Battle of Tannenburg in 1410. While on route to the King of Poland in Krakow, as a delagate for his Order, He was stopped by two polish knights who attacked him. Sir Kuno was astonished at this and told them to lower their spears. At that moment, one spear was at Sir Kuno's breast but his powerful hand broke the spear before it could do him harm. Back at the king's palace, he told the king of the encounter and how they disrespected the cross on his tunic. That evening the knights, guests and burgers were assembled, and the two polish knights had been sentenced by their court to be decapitated.

The Battle of Grunwald was also in 1410. The Germans had the best field leaders in the world. The Teutonic Forces were commanded by Sir Kuno. During the battle, Sir Kuno was captured by one of the relatives of the decapitated knights. He was challanged to a duel to the death, Sir Kuno was thrust to the ground during the combat...he asked forgiveness, but none was given. His opponent thrust hos sword twice into Sir Kuno's neck, killing him.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Guy VI de La Roche-Gyon" - The family were lords if the fief of the castle La Roche-Gyon from the 10th till the 15th century. Guy VI held the titles: Lord de la Rochefoucauld, Lord of Verteuil, Lord of Marathon, Lord of de Saint Claud, Lord of St. Laurent, Lord of Blanzae and Cellefouim, Lord of la Rocheygyon, Lord of Rocheville, Lord of Bernville, Knight Councollor and Chamberlain to the King (of France), Duke of Guyenne and Captain of the guard of the city of Harfleur. My Lord!!! (excuse the pun) That's a LOT of titles for one man!

In 1409 he married Perette de la Riviere. The Hundred Years war between England and France proved to be a hard time for Sir Guy. By 1415 negotiations came to a halt and the English landed at Chef-en-Caux, France. Things went well for the English until they reached the Somme River. They hoped to slip by before the French saw them. But instead they were forced to fight them in the Battle of Agincourt, Sir Guy was at this battle and it was there that he was killed.  After the battle, the treaty of Troyes imposed the depostion od Charles VI and the Regency of the King of England in 1420.

Sir James A:
Sir Kuno von Liechtenstein sounds familiar to me; I think I may have seen his name in one of my books about the crusades and/or templars. He met quite the gruesome end.

SirNathanQ:
An end fitting of a knight, to end one's life on the battlefield, especially as a member of a miltary order was the highest goal and honor.
Though I will not condone the actions of a knave who does not give mercy to he that ask for it in good faith.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version