Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (19/77) > >>

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Sir William,

Thank you for all your insight to the knighting. I am currently putting it on hold until I am told that I may set a date for the knighting ceremony. I also have begun to post in several other sections of the forum. I will do my best.

I remain, your most obedient servant,

Sir John

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This weeks Knight of the week: "The Knights von Finckenstein." - The family is originally from Finckenstein and took their name after the mountain of the same name. Sir Fredrich von Finckenstein already appeared in 996 in a tournament at Brunswick. Finckenstein castle was an important oupost over looking the Gail Valley and the Carintian estates around Villach. The castle appears for the first time in 1143 with Sir Gotwald von Finckenstein. Their coat of arms was chosen as "Under one leadership" (represented by the star) "should the family stay together in good times and bad times" (represented by the rising and setting half moons.)

The junior branch of the Finckensteins joined the Order of St. John and participated in the Third Crusade. Sir Konrad von Finckenstein (the founder of the Prussian line) participated in the Prussian Campaign in the 13th century with 100 knights of the Order of St. John in its drive to conquer Old Prussia alongside the Teutonic Knights. Under the same name, the house appears in 1451 with Sir Michael Finckenstein who shortened his family name to Finck. But in the 1600's the family became known as Finck von Finckenstein as counts of the Holy Roman Empire (Reichsgrafen) and Counts (Grafen) in Prussia.

Count Ernst Finck von Finckenstein (1633-1717) was Elector of Prussia, Chamberlain and Counsellor.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir John of Felsenbau on 2012-02-04, 14:38:54 ---Thank you for all your insight to the knighting. I am currently putting it on hold until I am told that I may set a date for the knighting ceremony. I also have begun to post in several other sections of the forum. I will do my best.

--- End quote ---

Excellent. We're currently discussing how we're going to handle knightings of the founding members and what sort of timeframe this will occur in. We'll make details available after they get worked out.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Sir Edward,

Thank you for that information. As I said, once the 3 months are up, I will wait for you to tell me that I can be knighted. At that time I will try to work out a date for the knighting. I am trying to put more on different topics on the message board. I hope this meets with your approval.

Sir John

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir John of Felsenbau on 2012-02-05, 14:25:22 ---Sir Edward,

Thank you for that information. As I said, once the 3 months are up, I will wait for you to tell me that I can be knighted. At that time I will try to work out a date for the knighting. I am trying to put more on different topics on the message board. I hope this meets with your approval.

Sir John

--- End quote ---

Sir John,

Don't worry too much about the 3 months. None of the current knights were knighted after only 3 months, it's a "minimum" but not a "standard". I believe all of the current knights were 6+ months after membership in the Order before being knighted. They were all, as best as I recall, sponsored and offered knighthood from the existing knights when they were deemed worthy, and did not actively pursue sponsors. As Sir Edward said, we're at a crossroads with some of the other founding members and their knightings, and we're relatively new with only 5 knights currently, so things will be slow for a bit as we continue to revise and refine things, and work with the other founding members. For now, enjoy chatting with us on the rest of the board in other topics, as you have been, and things will come in time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version