Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (13/77) > >>

Sir Edward:

Added! http://orderofthemarshal.org/william_marshal.html

I can take it back down if Sir John objects.

Sir William:
Nicely done, it is good.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Yes, you can add this to your website...I did miss the date that he signed the Magna Carta...sorry.

Sir John

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Knight of the week : Sir John d'Erly - In 1185 King Henry II gave the wardship of the 14 year old boy to Sir William Marshal. He took part in a skirmish in 1190 between the Normans and Phillip  of France near Le Mans, France. He remained his ward until he came of age in 1194. During this period he became the Marshal's Squire and was married to Sybil, another of Sir Marshal's wards. He was knighted by Sir William in 1194. Although he now came into his inheritance, he ramained a household knight of Sir William Marshal. (Research shows that many household knights wore the livery colors of their master but attached their own coat of arms to the surcoat. This is the choice I made for the set.)

Sir John was with Sir William and King Richard in France between 1195 and 1198, both returning briefly. Sir John was with King Richard later in 1198 and in 1199 when King Richard marched on the castle Gisars in France where the King recieved his fatal wound. In 1202 King John made him Sheriff of Devonshire. In 1204, Sir John and Sir William and a great company of knights seized the castle of Cillgeran from the Welsh. In 1207, Sir John was granted a liscence to accompany Sir William to Ireland. Sir John was made Bailiff of Ossory and the southern half of Leinster. In 1208 King John recalled Sir John, but knowing he would lose his lands if he didn't go, he remained loyal to Sir Marshal; and stayed, losing all his lands. Eventually King John accepted the inevitable and made up with Sir William, who had fallen out of the King's favor. Sir William rewarded Sir John with a grant of land in Kilkenny. At this point, Sir John became Sir William's "Carissimus" - his most intimate of intimates and his most loyal and trusted friend. In 1209 things flared up between Sir William and King John and Sir john was thrown in prison in Nottingham Castle. But in 1211, things were back to normal again and Sir John was made Sheriff of Devon, a position he held until 1215.  In 1216, King John died, and Sir William became Regent of England with Sir John as his closest advisor. In 1217, South Wales was attacked by the Welsh holding the castle of Caerleon. This was attacked and captured by Sir John, then Bailiff at Striguil. in 1219 Sir William fell ill, and Sir John hastened to his bedside and was with him when he died. Sir John was the executor of Sir William's will. Sir John continued to serve under Sir William's son until Sir John died in 1230.

Sir William:
Sir John, a great write up; I have come across references to Jean d'Earley (or as you know him, John d'Erly) in my research of The Marshal...one could posit that Jean/John was the son William may have wished for - given that he remained steadfast to the Marshal from the time he came into his wardship.  His heir, Will, on the other hand, did in fact rebel and remained at odds with the elder Marshal for a goodly amount of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version