Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (52/77) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-11-28, 17:05:40 ---I can't wait to see who it is!

--- End quote ---

Me too! Edward the Black Prince was already done, and he's probably my favorite, so I'm curious who it will be.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Out of all the knights I have researched, there is one who is totally unique. If I was a knight back then, I would act as he did. Chivalrous, but excentric. He was quite the character...reminds me of myself...lol

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's knight of the week will be a little different. If you remember I wrote a screenplay for a movie about knights for you guys. Originally I was going to do it about Sir Wm. Marshal, but I figured too much has been done on him, and I could never do him justice, so I changed the theme of the movie. But not until I had made 2 cloth coats of arms that I was going to put on surcoats, which I didn't. But I thought I'd post then here and give the backmground on those two knights.

This weeks Knights of the week: "Sir William Tancarville and Sir Patrick, Earl of Salisbury" - At the age of 13, William Marshal was sent to his cousin, William De Tancarville (1128-1190) to begin his military training for knighthood. William de Tancarville was known throughout Europe as one of the grander patrons of knighthood. After 6 years of being squire in the Tancarville household, William Marshal was knighted in 1166. Soon after he joined his cousin in a battle against the French, which they won. The battle over, they returned home, but recieved word of a tournament held near Le Mans. After the tournament, Sir William Marshal returned to England and his cousin Sir William took 20 of his best knights and went on a Crusade (the 3rd) with King Richard the Lionheart, where he was killed in 1190.

Sir William Marshal returned to England in 1167 where he met his uncle, Earl Patrick de Salisbury (1135-1168). At that time, Patrick was not an Earl, but he transferred his allegiance from King Stephen to Empress Matilda. This political move gained him the title of Earl. Sir William Marshal was serving under his uncle, when they were summoned to supress the revolt of the nobility of Poitou. King Henry captured the castle of Lusignan and then left with to meet with Louis VII of France, leaving behind his Queen, Elanor. Sir William's uncle stayed with her. In 1168 Queen Elanor and Earl Patrick were riding outside the castle when he ran into his enemy, Guy de Lusignan. Patrick and his men were unarmed, but refused to run from the enemy. In the battle, Patrick was struck with a single blow to his back, killing him. Sir William Marshal, seeing his uncle fall, charged toward the enemy but he too was struck down, that killed his horse.  Being unable to escape, Sir William Marshal began to fight on foot. He killed off several of the enemy, but he was outnumbered and taken prisoner.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
I think, with the holidays approaching...time with everyone will be at a minimum, so I will take a break from the knight of the week untill after the holidays. Hope everyone has a great one!

Sir Johann von Felsenbau

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir John of Felsenbau on 2012-12-08, 15:53:00 ---I think, with the holidays approaching...time with everyone will be at a minimum, so I will take a break from the knight of the week untill after the holidays. Hope everyone has a great one!

Sir Johann von Felsenbau

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a good plan. I know the holidays get hectic over here, so I'm guessing it's like that for a lot of folks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version