Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (42/77) > >>

Sir Wolf:
hah tells you i can do math in my head hehehehhe. i read the numbers backwards. doh, but still 95 man o man thats old even for now.

Sir William:
That's why I asked...101 didn't seem to fit anywhere for me.  lol

Joshua Santana:
Oops! I did the math wrong, but yes 93 is still an old age, still impressive.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Erasmus von Lueger" - The Predjama Castle in Carniola was first mentioned in 1274. For the next 200 years it was the center of conflicts for its ownership. In 1478, it became the property of the knight, Erazem (Erasmus) von Lueg (Lueger). He was probably the most famous inhabitant of that castle. He was the son of the Imperial Governor of Trieste, Nikolaj Lueger. Erasmus was a "robber baron" who, like Robin Hood, waylaid wagons in the deep forest and handed it over to the poor. During the wars between the Hungarians and the Austrians, Erasmus supported the Austrians.

In 1471, two of his friends went for peace talks and were promised safe passage. Instead they were captured and beheaded. For this reason, Erasmus avenged his friends murder by killing the villan, the commander of the Imperial army, Marshall Pappenheim. Erasmus fled to his castle to escape from being killed himself. The castle was put under seige under orders from the Emperor. But the castle could NOT be starvewd out. Later it was found that there was a secret entrance to the castle through the caves where fresh supplies were brought in.

When the troops (putting the castle under seige) were freezing and starving in the middle of winter, Erasmus catapulted a roasted ox to them and wished them a good appetite! When spring arrived, he sent them freshly picked cherries. After a year had passed, Erasmus was finally killed by a cannonball after his whereabouts were guven away by a treacherous servant. The cannonball missed him but when it hit the wall behind him, an avalanche collapsed on him, thus ending his rebellion in 1483.

Sir James A:
Sir Erasmus: "Ha! You missed me with that cannon shot!"
Cannoneer: "Wait for it...."

That sounds like a really neat castle, with the hidden passage(s).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version