Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (34/77) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Thank you Sir John for this amazing history lesson on all these renown knights! Well done on all of them and I esp. liked learning more about St. Joan of Arc, she was an amazing person indeed. So thanks again on your extraordinary work put into Knight of the week, hope to see more soon
--- End quote ---

Hear! Hear! Hear!  ;)

Sir John of Felsenbau:
You're quite welcome. It does take a lot of work...making the surcoats/shields and fixing up the helmets, let alone all the research. I started this knight of the week to show the other members that I'm NOT here just to get knighted, but am trying to add what I can to your group. I wish there was a member in the Philadelphia PA area. Thanks again.

Sir John

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's Knight of the week: "Prince Edward, The Black Knight" - He was born in 1330 and was the eldest son of King Edward III. He was created Earl of Chester in 1333 and Duke of Cornwall in 1337. He was vested as Prince of Wales in 1343, when he was almost 13 years old. At age of 14 he was sent to Oxford, but he was only there a year when hos father took him with him to France. The beginning of his military career was at the Battle of Crecy in 1346 where he was knighted by his father before the battle. He wore black armor that was given him by his father...hence his nickname.

In 1348 he became the first Knight of the Garter, of whose order he was one of the founders. In 1355 he was appointed his father's lieutenant and in 1356 he led another significant against the French at Pointers taking the French King as his prisoner. In 1362 his father created him Prince of Aquitaine and Gascony. He led an expedition in Spain in 1367 to restore the deposed King Pedro of Castile to the throne. In 1371 he returned to England and enjoyed his reputation for chivalry and valor.

His arms featured 3 white ostrich feathers on black, which originally belonged to John of Bohemia as a tribute to his valiant and noble actions at Crecy. He also put his motto in German: "I Serve." He died in 1376 from an illness he contracted in Spain.

He was portrayed in the movie: "A Knight's Tale" however in reality he didn't care or associate with the lower classes, so in the movie, he was out of character.

Sir Rodney:
Sir John, I really look forward to updates on this thread.  You've done an excellent job.  :)

Joshua Santana:
YES!  The Black Prince was the Chivalrous Rock Star of the Hundred Years Wars  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version