"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Custom Albion Baron  (Read 5611 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Custom Albion Baron
« on: 2008-05-23, 13:30:10 »

Christian Fletcher added some pictures of my Baron in his Baron album: http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Albion_Longswords/Pages/Baron.html

It should be arriving today. The tracking shows that it's out for delivery.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Custom Albion Baron
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-23, 14:44:36 »
Cool! I can't wait to see how that thing cuts. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-23, 23:52:48 »
Well, talk about cutting it close... At work today, they let everyone out for the holiday weekend early, at 3:30. I kept watching the clock, and the package arrived at 3:28. (I had it shipped there to avoid having to be home to sign for it, etc, etc). Crazy!

Anyway, here's some pics:

(all clicky)

It's great! It's a little more blade heavy than I usually am drawn to, but really, it's not that blade heavy. I still haven't met an Albion I haven't liked! This feels like it'll be a mean cutter, especially against pumpkins and other targets that favor weighty and powerful blades. Is November here yet? I need some pumpkins!

The grip and scabbard are actually a dark blue. They came out a little darker than I expected, but that's what I asked for. It's interesting that Christian Fletcher peened the tang right down on the pommel, and didn't use a peen-block like the stock Baron. I don't mind, and it personalizes it a little more, though I always though the peen block was a neat little visual detail.

« Last Edit: 2008-05-23, 23:55:08 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-25, 03:58:00 »
Got to handle this today. This is a really nice sword! I see why people often refer to it as a "beast", but that's meant in a good way. There are heavy swords that are awkward to handle, and then there's heavy swords that scream, "Use me." Ed's sword falls in the latter category. It's got some serious heft to it, but it balances wonderfully, and flows quite nicely. It also has a really nice, powerful feel. For a while, the sword market got a little carried away with reproducing super light swords (and truthfully, it was necessary for the market to do this, because it was a backlash against the years where all modern swords were ridiculously heavier than the historical counterparts). I'm glad to see this sword representing some of the true swords of war, where you can see that a heavy sword does not automatically equal a slow or awkward sword, if the makers know what they are doing.

I can't wait to see how well it cuts on targets!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck