"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: The Order of the Hatchet  (Read 14922 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
The Order of the Hatchet
« on: 2011-07-13, 18:14:02 »

We don't hear a lot about female knights in history. And while rare, they did exist. One notable case is "The Order of the Hatchet", comprised entirely of women.

The Order of the Hatchet
http://www.heraldica.org/topics/orders/wom-kn.htm
There is a case of a clearly military order of knighthood for women. It is the order of the Hatchet (orden de la Hacha) in Catalonia. It was founded in 1149 by Raymond Berenger, count of Barcelona, to honor the women who fought for the defense of the town of Tortosa against a Moor attack. The dames admitted to the order received many privileges, including exemption from all taxes, and took precedence over men in public assemblies. I presume the order died out with the original members.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_Order_of_the_Hatchet
The Order of the Hatchet (Orden de la Hacha) is an order of knighthood founded in Catalonia (Spain) in 1149 by the Count of Barcelona, Raymond Berengar IV (Ramon Berenguer IV), to honor the women of Tortola who defended their homeland.
Tortosa had been under Muslim control for centuries when it was taken over by crusaders in 1149, shortly after, the army left for other pressing matters, and a Muslim army showed up, laying siege to the city. Told that they might best surrender, the women of the city instead dressed as men, took hatchets and whatever other weapons they could get, and successfully attacked the Muslim camp, driving the army away.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Order of the Hatchet
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-13, 18:29:37 »
Well done, ladies!  Theirs is an interesting history...I will research them further.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-13, 20:38:57 »
I smell a very good movie from that story. I hope Hollywood is listening, with Your Highness, The Black Death, and Season of the Witch recently, maybe we'll get a good run of some more medieval themed movies.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-13, 21:58:01 »
i wonder if its any relation to Molly Hatchet hahaha jkjk hehehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-14, 18:53:32 »

I'd love to see this turned into a movie. But then again, Hollywood would probably put all of the women in typical female fantasy armor (which, as much as I love to see it, the historical inaccuracy would have me gritting my teeth).

Hollywood would probably also forget that they weren't knights yet when they defended the town. And so they'd probably portray them as skilled warriors, rather than typical women for the time who rose to the challenge.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-14, 19:33:42 »

I'd love to see this turned into a movie. But then again, Hollywood would probably put all of the women in typical female fantasy armor (which, as much as I love to see it, the historical inaccuracy would have me gritting my teeth).

NOT ME...bring on the mailed boobs!  Besides, looking for historical accuracy is just setting one's self up for disappointment...after roughly 100 years of cinema, I get the impression that they will never truly be interested in period accuracy.  We're in a specific niche of moviegoers who can appreciate that sort of thing but Hollywood's not going to cater to the likes of us...a small percentage of people who look for more than what's offered.  Let us take the latest treatment of Robin Hood; the amount of money they'd need to spend to research to full period accuracy won't translate to that much more money (if any at all- how many people would even be able to tell) being made because of it - conversely, they lost nothing by NOT including it therefore, from a business perspective, they did it just right.

I am not as affected as some of you on here...but I still can tell the differences, I just don't allow it to take away from the point of the exercise, which is pure enjoyment.

Having said that, maybe we should try our hand at making a film short (or several) replete with historical accuracy, as much as can be had, on a very limited budget.  At the very least, it should be fun!

And if we're really feeling adventurous, we can film on the grounds of the old VARF!  It already has a castle, appropriate looking scenery and surroundings...why not?  Then we could release it via YouTube and watch it make a buzz...but if we're gonna do it, we gotta do it before someone else does!
« Last Edit: 2011-07-14, 19:39:48 by Sir William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-15, 15:21:08 »
I like Ser William's thoughts on this matter, i would rather say that we should make a few shorts promoting our order and our views, it would be well that we actually have an official outing as well, we all see each other on rare occasions. I would also like to start thinking about how we could promote our society. At many Celtic events you meet the clan societies so what is involved in building something similar.

I have been involved managing a few  not for profit groups, and we may eventually want to form as one to be more official, ok all that is yet another discussion.

I do like the idea of the shorts though, anyone good at writing script and dialog?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-21, 16:06:57 »
I'm good at writing in general...but not dialog; I guess because I've never given it a go.  I'd definitely be willing to work with others though...Stormdelver's onto something I think.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-23, 10:04:34 »
Yep, this really looks interesting.  Great for two things: first proving that Women did become Knights and second, great material for a Hollywood Film or TV Serial.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-25, 20:21:44 »
Thanks for posting this info! I had heard of the Order of the Hatchet before, but had a tough time remembering it, especially recently. My Lady and some of her close associates are contemplating starting a female analog of the Fiat Lux, and this has given them quite a bit of inspiration.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-26, 00:03:36 »

My pleasure. :) And good to see you, Sir James! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-26, 14:56:27 »
We have another Sir James?  This is gonna get confusing.  lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-26, 16:57:26 »
We have another Sir James?  This is gonna get confusing.  lol

If it eases the confusion, perhaps I should go by "Sir Epic of Awesome"? :D

(definitely kidding!)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-26, 19:04:06 »
That'd work for me, Sir Epic!  Or better yet...

"Sire Picofawe Some"

See how many get it.  lol

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-28, 18:34:20 »
It's getting even more confusing in the Fiat Lux! We just knighted our second Sir James, and may have a new Squire James soon! There's a bet of an echo in the chapter!