"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: 15th Century combat demo (video)  (Read 12246 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
15th Century combat demo (video)
« on: 2011-07-07, 17:51:07 »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
Re: 15th Century combat demo (video)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-07, 17:57:05 »
Good video, I would like to see more of this live.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-07, 19:22:46 »
Now THAT was thrilling to watch!  I had no idea the poleaxe could  be such a versatile weapon.  I think I'll have to move it closer to the top of the list of weapons to acquire...right after I get this hammer or axe.  Not sure which to run with just yet.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-07, 19:56:43 »
Great video; thank you for sharing it!

Sir William,

I recommend you pick up a Purpleheart Armoury poleaxe and a copy of The Poleaxe DVD by Christian Henry Tobler.  Talk about fun!!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-07, 20:35:19 »
I'll check those links later Lord Rodney, thanks for sharing...most interested in this.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-07, 20:55:19 »
[youtube][/youtube]

(the youtube link isn't working for me for some reason)

thats all well and good to use moves as in the books, unless the guy is totally huge next to you. hehe here is James Barker against Kevin. you can see me in the back ground too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25183777@N07/sets/72157626526431122/ action shots of it
« Last Edit: 2011-07-07, 20:57:07 by Sir Wolf »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-08, 00:53:44 »
(the youtube link isn't working for me for some reason)

That's because you have it wrapped in "url" tags inside the youtube tags. It just needs to be one or the other.... or neither.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-08, 13:04:45 »
Yea, I ran into that problem as well, Sirs Edward and Wolf.  I figured out that since it had its own url tags when you copy it from YT, you don't need the YT tags as well.

And a comment on the duel featuring James Barker- I think I may've said this before but I really can appreciate their bout for a number of reasons...there was some commentary on AA about technique or the lack thereof and it kind of pissed me off.  These guys weren't actively trying to kill one another, it was an exhibition...that it ended up being a grappling match with pointies is a natural progression in my book.  I've been in a few scrapes in my time and it almost always goes to the ground.

Why should it have been any different back then?  I guess those AA guys were looking for something like the video Ed posted...which is a fine instructional video where you can tell they've practiced these moves with eachother at length...it is well done, almost choreographed- but that happens when you're partnered with someone you're familiar with, you can almost anticipate what they'll do and vice versa.

I think if we put two unknowns together for a duel- that is, people who are not familiar with one another, then the result will be more like Barker's vid and not the one up top. 

Just my 2 bits.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-08, 13:05:57 by Sir William »

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-08, 13:20:17 »
Quote from: Sir William
I think if we put two unknowns together for a duel- that is, people who are not familiar with one another, then the result will be more like Barker's vid and not the one up top.
You are correct.

I read the same commentary on the AA thread and just shrugged.   ::)  The same holds true when you are fighting in an SCA tournament against an unknown opponent.  If you haven’t had the opportunity to watch him/her in a previous round, you end up taking it slow and feeling each other out.  I can only assume that it would be the same, or more so, when steel is involved.  Keep in mind that there are a great number of intelligent, well read and very capable fighters on AA as well as a fair number of armchair quarterbacks who *maybe* get into armour once a year, but seem to have input on every subject matter. ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-08, 14:30:59 »
the thing is, both james and kevin know what they are doing. i mean not 100% yada yada, but they have the books, do go to WMA classes etc. theres was more actual combat than all the other videos i have scene where things are staged and put on for learning etc. james/kevin have been playing around like this for at least what 10 years? hehehe.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-08, 14:56:17 »
Quote from: Sir William
You are correct.

I read the same commentary on the AA thread and just shrugged.   ::)  The same holds true when you are fighting in an SCA tournament against an unknown opponent.  If you haven’t had the opportunity to watch him/her in a previous round, you end up taking it slow and feeling each other out.  I can only assume that it would be the same, or more so, when steel is involved.  Keep in mind that there are a great number of intelligent, well read and very capable fighters on AA as well as a fair number of armchair quarterbacks who *maybe* get into armour once a year, but seem to have input on every subject matter. ;)

Huzzah for armchair QBs no?  I think it is natural for spectators to critique what they're seeing, even if they may not really know enough about the subject matter to discuss it in-depth, most folk are smart enough to pick up on subtleties if the subject at hand is of interest to them.  For my part, I thought Kevin handled himself well...especially against an opponent that he gave nearly half a foot in height and easily 50-60 lbs in weight; if I did not think (and know) better of him, I would've said James was a big bully!  LOL

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-08, 18:18:46 »
hmmm kevin is shorter than i and around the same weight so that puts james at about 8 inches taller and 100+ heavier ehhehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-08, 19:09:30 »
Really?  He looks like he's the size you used to be, but no way, not now.  He's got you by at least 20 lbs I'd say.  How tall is James?  I'm just a hair over 6', I figured he was about 6'2" at the most, but pictures can be deceiving- not to mention, uneven ground. 

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-15, 19:27:46 »
Brilliant !!
G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-22, 12:53:21 »
How tall is James?  I'm just a hair over 6', I figured he was about 6'2" at the most, but pictures can be deceiving- not to mention, uneven ground.

6'3". I am not to worried about the comments people make; I am not HWMA expert and I would not call our combat amazing but it was fun. Some of the comments were legit some was sour grapes from combat clubs that don't do historical style combat. I does not bother me either way.