Main > The Round Table

Chivalry and King Arthur bases

(1/2) > >>

Sir Wolf:
so just how much does the king Arthur novels or stories determine our views of chivalry or knightly actions? how does it for you and why?

Joshua Santana:
To me, that depends on what version of the legends you are reading and how much moral understanding you can intake/absorb into your head and express it through your choices/deeds.

The way that I see it is that Malory's Tale is the best example of living by the Chivalric Code and the dangerous consequences of straying off the Path.  I can learn the moral lessons in that book and find numerous ways of applying the lessons into my Mannerisms and life choices.  This is a process that involves examining my heart and conscience and taking into deep account what would be the rewards and consequences of following or not adhering to the virtues of Chivalry.

This process of assessing my adherence to the Chivalric Code does help me understand on a deep level how does one live up to the Code in an authentic, genuine manner in which the Knights of Old lived their daily lives.

Sir William:
It is what I grew up on.  For my 10th birthday, my Mom had gotten me Bulfinch's Mythology, his complete works on Roman, Greek and Norse mythologies, as well as Tales of King Charlemagne and Arthur and his Round Table...I liked them all, but the stories on Arthur and Charles the Great really resonated in me.

You could say that I took my first step on The Path from there.  Even now, as an adult, I realize these stories are really moral tales, designed to give the reader the idea that living up to such high chivalry is what we should all seek - and it is MUCH harder to walk the walk as I have learned over the years.  Still, I walk as best I'm able.

Sir James A:
Like Sir William, I grew up with the King Arthur style stories (and a lot of Disney, too). One thing I've realized as I've gotten older is that in the 'real world', kind actions to an opponent doesn't always make them a friend; make the effort at peace, but brace yourself at the same time, in case it comes to conflict.

I've also started trying to look at things from a modern perspective, and a medieval perspective too; I posted a link to a story of Sir William Marshal in which he essentially robs a couple who is eloping, in order to prevent them committing usury. With robbery not being chivalrous today, but acceptable in period, it can give a different 'feel' to the story sometimes, and it seems as though some stories may be 'out of context' with a 'modern' perspective.

I think people in general consider chivalry as the typical King Arthur tales, and as they were told during the Victorian era. If we told them it's chivalrous to defend the weak and be generous, they'd likely agree with us. If we told them it's chivalrous to relieve someone of their possessions if it prevents them from making poor choices, it would probably be difficult to convince them otherwise.

Sir William:
It was also acceptable to keep servants and/or slaves, brothels were much more widespread (and accepted by society as a necessary evil) and if you had a dispute w/someone, you could settle it via strength of arms.

I am not saying they had it right...but I'm of the opinion that they had some parts right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version