"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: 'Redbelt'  (Read 13498 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 'Redbelt'
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-28, 19:38:24 »
The key, however, is the 'red belt' - look that up; once you know what it is, the ending will make sense to you.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-13, 00:49:13 »

I just watched this last night.

Warning, mild spoilers...

The ending struck me as a little odd, in terms of the editing choices, but I think I understand why they did it that way. You see Terry motioning for him to (presumably) be handed the microphone as he steps up to the ring, but you never see him give a speech. Instead he's rewarded as though all of the truth had come out... everything behind his actions. So I think they made an editing choice to keep it unspoken for the sake of impact, but it can make it seem confusing since you would think everyone had only seen him beat up the other guy without knowing the context. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-13, 06:39:55 »

I just watched this last night.

Warning, mild spoilers...

The ending struck me as a little odd, in terms of the editing choices, but I think I understand why they did it that way. You see Terry motioning for him to (presumably) be handed the microphone as he steps up to the ring, but you never see him give a speech. Instead he's rewarded as though all of the truth had come out... everything behind his actions. So I think they made an editing choice to keep it unspoken for the sake of impact, but it can make it seem confusing since you would think everyone had only seen him beat up the other guy without knowing the context. :)

But the guy who meets him is family. Terry is related to the guy via Terry's wife. Guy's either her(the wife's) father or grandfather, and he would have known the back story cause of the wife.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-13, 15:01:11 »

Ah, that's true. But they also said that his wife betrayed him. The plot points move so rapidly at that point, I probably missed some details.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-13, 15:24:57 »
Terry's wife has two brothers...Bruno was the promotor, Ricardo was the champion; I'm guessing the old guy trained both Ricardo and Terry- and gave Terry the redbelt, signifying him as the one worthy pupil.

Remember Terry's stance that fighting for money was not honorable, that it weakened the fighter.  The old teacher...didn't he look ashamed, embarrassed by the spectacle?  I got the impression that he didn't even want to be there.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-13, 17:34:41 »

It was also clear that the others didn't respect the older master. His photo was stashed away in a cabinet somewhere.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-13, 18:33:06 »
How many instances in history do we know of where youth has always tried to get rid of the inherent wisdom in the personages of their fathers?  Nature vs nurture, no?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2012-05-29, 20:12:33 »
Necrothread!

Found a vid of the end sequence:

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #23 on: 2012-05-30, 16:29:16 »
Interesting end scene, looks a bit like 'Fearless' only with no one dying. 

Terry's wife has two brothers...Bruno was the promotor, Ricardo was the champion; I'm guessing the old guy trained both Ricardo and Terry- and gave Terry the redbelt, signifying him as the one worthy pupil.

Remember Terry's stance that fighting for money was not honorable, that it weakened the fighter.  The old teacher...didn't he look ashamed, embarrassed by the spectacle?  I got the impression that he didn't even want to be there.

That would explain it, yes I agree with the philosophy that using a fighting skill for money doesn't help in the long run, fighting for money weaken the sense of Mortality and turns the individual into a egotistical killer who doesn't care for anything except for money, fame and power. 

The real, true warrior (or Knight in this case) would never condone fighting for money, he would fight to save lives and to help those suffering from the evils of others.  I may sound like I am getting this from the Chivalric Romances but it is still relevant.  It is better to fight for a transcendent cause than for something that doesn't last forever.  Mentoring people to do the right thing has more value than fighting for thrill of being famous (like the celebrity's of today), fighting to help people shows your character than how well can you fight.  Anyone can fight. but not everyone can fight for the right reasons.  Only the proven few can. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.