"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: 'Redbelt'  (Read 13504 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
'Redbelt'
« on: 2011-06-23, 00:35:15 »
For another film on chivalric behavior I would like to submit, for your consideration, 'Redbelt'.

Specifically the character of Mike Terry

"You think it was noble? The code of the warrior. You think it's noble?" "No, I think it's correct."

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: 2011-06-23, 00:48:10 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 'Redbelt'
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-23, 14:29:34 »
That was an excellent movie...he stayed true to the warrior's code, even when he had to suffer for it.  Finding a way to pay for the broken glass, his student's suicide over shame (modern equiv of hara kiri, no?) his wife's apparent lack of understanding (she deals with it out of love, but she does not understand)...and when that big budget shine boy mocked the ceremony of his art, he challenged him.  And won.  Look for Dan Inosanto (long-time friend and training partner to Bruce Lee) to make a cameo near the end.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-23, 15:04:56 »

I haven't seen it. Adding it to netflix now.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-23, 15:09:40 »
I picked up the DVD on eBay last year sometime...Ivan's right, it is an excellent example of not necessarily chivalry, but adherence to a higher code, in this case, the warrior (or samurai, as there are references to bushido)...no matter the cost.  For Mike, it is less about thinking and referencing an ideal and more about living it.

I've become a Chiwetel Ejiofor fan as a result of this and other movies, like Children of Men.  The man is gifted.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-23, 20:48:18 »
Never seen it, but it does look interesting. I'm usually in for martial arts movies. Don't know how I missed this one, but I'll post up after watching it. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-23, 23:06:23 »
yeah that looks good

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-24, 13:54:18 »
This isn't a HK high-wire act like you find in most eastern MA movies...the focus is on Ju-jitsu.  While there's nothing flashy or high flying about Ju-jitsu, it is most effective- as is showcased in some of the training and fight scenes in the movie.  Just about every mixed martial arts fighter has learned or is still learning this art as part of their repertoire...those who do not, never last long.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-24, 13:54:44 by Sir William »

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-24, 22:42:40 »
Excellent pick Sir William!  I will have to find it and watch it.  Thanks for sharing Rauttskegg!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-24, 23:40:23 »
The last 5 or so minutes are awesome. It has an Akira Kurosawa feel to me.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-27, 18:42:20 »
I saw it this past weekend. Without the risk of posting any spoilers, I did not understand the ending at all.

Mike Terry was a very honorable character. It was a good movie, but not quite what I expected. I also saw Sucker Punch this weekend (right before this), and that made me a very sad camper too, I might have missed a few things, but the ending still seemed confusing.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-27, 19:49:32 »
Sucker Punch...hot chics, swords and explosions right?  What was there to disappoint you?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-27, 20:30:03 »
Sucker Punch...hot chics, swords and explosions right?  What was there to disappoint you?

I saw 15 foot tall samurai on the commercials. They were in roughly 2 1/2 minutes of the entire movie. And the movie was nothing like I expected. Have you seen it?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-06-27, 21:43:04 »
I saw it this past weekend. Without the risk of posting any spoilers, I did not understand the ending at all.

It was pretty clear to me, so much so that I couldn't imagine a better ending to it. What about the ending is giving you issue? (PM me if you like and tell me where the train broke down for ya.)

-Ivan

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-06-28, 16:58:37 »
I haven't seen Sucker Punch yet but plan on it...something about girls kicking butts does it for me.  I'm interested to know what part of the ending was lost on you, Sir James...mind you, it wasn't meant to tie up loose ends, the film maker had a message he wanted to impart.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-06-28, 18:19:43 »

It was pretty clear to me, so much so that I couldn't imagine a better ending to it. What about the ending is giving you issue? (PM me if you like and tell me where the train broke down for ya.)

-Ivan

it wasn't meant to tie up loose ends

That's what it was. The ending seemed very abrupt, and it felt like I just saw "part 1 of 2". Don't get me wrong, it was a very good movie and I enjoyed watching it, I hoped for some closure on the other character's stories and it left me hanging.