"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Server connections (and SSL/HTTPS)  (Read 3128 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Server connections (and SSL/HTTPS)
« on: 2011-06-09, 20:00:54 »
I apologize if anyone this afternoon noticed the forum being inaccessible for a minute at a time here and there. I'm messing around on the server and trying not to affect the forum, but apache is being a pain. I'll probably finish what I was doing another time.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-09, 23:33:58 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Server connections
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-09, 23:33:27 »

OK, I think I have it working for the time being. What I was trying to do was get SSL working, with some of the configs not set up right. :) Funny how you have to get it right before it'll work correctly.

Anyway, what this means is that if you're on the road, such as using a hotel's wifi connection, you might want to use a secure connection to sites you log into... and now you can do that here.

https://modernchivalry.org/forum/

Your web browser will give you warnings about it being untrusted. Just say yes to it and go through. It's a self-signed certificate, since I didn't want to pay for an official one, so you'll get those warnings.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Server connections (and SSL/HTTPS)
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-10, 02:04:47 »
way cool thanks

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Server connections (and SSL/HTTPS)
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-10, 13:57:08 »
Cool, thanks Sir Edward. Yesterday I overheard a coworker in a nearby cube say "Ah! Would you stop doing what I tell you to do, and start doing what I WANT you to do?" (when fussing at her computer/code).

A note for the Internet Explorer uses - the colors will argue with you. To go to the site, you have to click the red text/icon that says "Take me to the site anyway", instead of the green one that cancels going to it.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent