Main > The Round Table

Trial by combat

<< < (4/9) > >>

Sir William:
Rob Roy was a good movie, although not what I expected.  I thank Braveheart for that...every time I see a movie and Scots are in it, I'm expecting a recreation of the Battle of Stirling Bridge.  lol

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-15, 16:15:23 ---Rob Roy was a good movie, although not what I expected.  I thank Braveheart for that...every time I see a movie and Scots are in it, I'm expecting a recreation of the Battle of Stirling Bridge.  lol

--- End quote ---

Do you mean the battle scene in Braveheart WITHOUT the bridge in it?  :D

Sir William:
That'd be the one!  lol

Odd name but there you have it.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-06-15, 15:51:19 --- What's cool is that they worked some real martial techniques into the duel, if I recall. It's been a long time since I've seen it (and I'm not getting a chance to watch youtube stuff this week).
--- End quote ---

Nah, not really. :) It's actually a wonderful film, and I do really like the duel because I feel it tells the story well... but from a martial arts perspective, it sucks, as do just about all sword fight scenes. :) And for me, the most important part is the story, so I'm able to turn my brain off during sword fight scenes in movies (unless if they are atrocious).

The problem really is that it is not cost-effective to take the primary actors and train them to a level of proficiency that would be required to become excellent stunt men just for the sake of a few fight scenes. So even people like Liam Neeson, who have a lot of stage fighting experience, are not going to be a martial arts actor of the caliber of, say, Tony Jaa. The flip side to that coin is that a Tony Jaa film is always going to be pretty dumb no matter how amazing the martial arts are, while a Liam Neeson movie has the potential to be very good with adequate fight scenes.

Case in point. Here's a scene from a Tony Jaa film The Protector. It's an amazing martial arts sequence, particularly because it's all done in one take without a single edit. But the movie? It's absolutely stupid. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoaYchGtpI[/youtube]

Sir William:
Tony Jaa is a beast...but I prefer his Ong Bak movies to The Protector, which was a good MA movie but the premise, as you say, is somewhat dumb.  Having said that, Tony Jaa is electrifying when he showcases his skills like this.  Love watching him work.

Ong Bak II was bonecrushingly amazing...he handed out so much whup-ass it was exhausting to watch!  The third one I've not yet seen...and haven't heard much about it either so it was either very good and had a small release or it really sucked.  Anyone seen it yet?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version