Main > The Round Table

Modern medieval art

(1/3) > >>

Sir Edward:

I've never been very good at drawing people or animals. I'm much better at simple inanimate objects. But every time I look at some of the period artwork in the combat manuscripts, and various scans of other art, including the William Marshal image on the front page of the Order's website, it makes me want to pick up a bunch of colored pencils and take a shot at making that style of drawings.

I don't know if I'd be any good at it, but I think it would be fun.

Has anyone here attempted to make medieval-styled artwork?

Sir William:
Well, I used to draw knights in armor (mostly mail, based off of drawings in Bulfinch's mythology), in duel, on horseback on occasion, but nothing approaching that if only because the position of the body seems strange to me.  Its almost as if his opponent tried NOT to match him but William decided he needed to go down anyway.  My kind of guy!

I plan on drawing up what I think a joust melee might have looked like eventually...I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Sir Rodney:
I have no artistic ability whatsoever with the pen or brush. :(  Many members of the SCA do practice medieval scribal arts.  I was very fortunate to have a friend create the scroll recording my Award of Arms for Armouring many years ago.  :)

Sir Wolf:
i don't have any scanners so how else would i get pics online? maybe take a picture of them.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-06-07, 13:07:30 ---I have no artistic ability whatsoever with the pen or brush. :(  Many members of the SCA do practice medieval scribal arts.  I was very fortunate to have a friend create the scroll recording my Award of Arms for Armouring many years ago.  :)

--- End quote ---

Very nicely done. Even the calligraphy looks great.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-06-07, 13:15:06 ---i don't have any scanners so how else would i get pics online? maybe take a picture of them.

--- End quote ---

A scanner is ideal, but that should work too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version