Main > The Round Table

The Scorpion and the Frog.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Both are said to be allegorical to drugs and/or alcohol as well; the victim feels "safe" after reassurance of the snake/scorpion that "it won't hurt me", and the "you knew what I was" when bad things happen.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---IMO we as adherents of the chivalric code have the duty and responsibility to always be watchful of the human scorpions of this world. Regrettably far too many frogs allow themselves to be cajoled into believing these scorpions time and time again thus allowing them to poison the very psyche of society until the scorpion’s twisted and narcissistic perspective becomes the accepted norm. We should be as vigilant turtles that happen to be in the vicinity whenever a scorpion attempts to cajole a frog for conveyance and intercede on the frog’s behalf to ensure the scorpion understands that we turtles will not allow the scorpion to proliferate so easily and they risk suffering our wrath whenever they succumb to the temptation of following their ‘natural’ inclinations…OR we could simply draw steel and expeditiously dispatch them…allegorically speaking of course!
--- End quote ---

I couldn't agree much more!  This tale is a lesson in being cautious and vigilant against smooth talking back stabbers.  The saying "be gentle as a dove but wise as a serpent" is relative to this lesson.  I also agree on bringing a turtle shell called Chivalry first before carrying the scorpions!

Sir Rodney:
These stories are as old as the hills, and there's a good reason for it.  Basic human nature hasn't changed in a millennium and we need cautionary tales to remind us of that fact even in our "modern" world.

A modern version might sound like "Several hard working employees are recruited by a poisonous boss for a difficult project.  After carrying the boss through the worst of the project, and within sight of the goal, the boss terminates the employees.  The boss is able to leap to safety from the backs of the drowning employees and reap the rewards."  Just saying...

Sir William:
I believe you're correct, Sir Rodney, the golden parachute phenomenon is a modern-day equivalent to the scorpion and frog story, if only because a CEO's true nature is thus revealed.

I say kill the scorpion before he speaks!

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-06-06, 13:00:54 ---These stories are as old as the hills, and there's a good reason for it.  Basic human nature hasn't changed in a millennium and we need cautionary tales to remind us of that fact even in our "modern" world.

A modern version might sound like "Several hard working employees are recruited by a poisonous boss for a difficult project.  After carrying the boss through the worst of the project, and within sight of the goal, the boss terminates the employees.  The boss is able to leap to safety from the backs of the drowning employees and reap the rewards."  Just saying...

--- End quote ---

Precisely Rodney! That is an excellent and most poignant modern interpretation in these harsh economic times!

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---the golden parachute phenomenon is a modern-day equivalent to the scorpion and frog story
--- End quote ---
Hey, I've been that frog!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version