"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: Painting helms  (Read 15672 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Painting helms
« on: 2011-06-02, 17:49:26 »

I was just looking at this thread on myArmoury:  http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22869

I still like the idea of painting helms. You don't see a lot of people doing it these days. I don't think I'm brave enough to paint the only great helm that fits me so well. Heh. :) But I could see getting a couple of other helms and then painting them.

Anyone else thinking about doing this at some point?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Painting helms
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-02, 18:15:21 »
I've thought about painting my Kettle Helm and now that I picked up a second one, I might try it. I like the idea, but I'm not very good at painting. Maybe I can bribe my very talented lady wife into doing it for me...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-02, 20:46:16 »
I am...I saw a Norman panoply (posted on AA I think) where the helm was painted in blue and white offsetting swirls, the dark maille and a matching kite shield with a boss...I liked it so much I made it my desktop background on my work-from-home laptop.

I want to do one of my Norman helms like that, but blue/black like my surcoat...it was really quite attractive.  At one point, when I had a great helm, I flirted with the idea of painting it all red, like I'd seen in Assassin's Creed (it was a Crusader who wore it, specfically the ones on guard in the Holy Land section of the game) but I sold it before I could do it.  Just as well, as I'd just come upon the paints to do it with here:  www.milkpaint.com or something very like...it may have been Wolf who posted it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-02, 21:04:35 »
if ever i get the GDFB kettle helm i will be painting it

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-02, 21:45:09 »
Quote from: Sir William
I am...I saw a Norman panoply (posted on AA I think) where the helm was painted in blue and white offsetting swirls, the dark maille and a matching kite shield with a boss...I liked it so much I made it my desktop background on my work-from-home laptop.

That's Patrick Kelly.  He makes a very studly Norman.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-03, 13:41:59 »
Thank you, Sir Rodney- that's him...soon as I read the name.  I was quite taken with his helm and shield.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-19, 03:02:24 »
So, I have been looking around for sources on how to paint a helmet. I got inspired after looking at Morgan Bible images. My search brought me here. I can't seem to find anything about authentic paint to use on a helmet on the web. I plan to paint my GDFB kettle helm. It wasn't very expensive and it's more like a test dummy for me to play around with. So I want to paint it and see how it comes out. Would anybody know my best option for historical paint? Does it prevent rust? If this looks as nice as I hope I'll be sure to use it on other helms.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2015-04-19, 13:47:33 »
So, I have been looking around for sources on how to paint a helmet. I got inspired after looking at Morgan Bible images. My search brought me here. I can't seem to find anything about authentic paint to use on a helmet on the web. I plan to paint my GDFB kettle helm. It wasn't very expensive and it's more like a test dummy for me to play around with. So I want to paint it and see how it comes out. Would anybody know my best option for historical paint? Does it prevent rust? If this looks as nice as I hope I'll be sure to use it on other helms.

As far as I'm aware, the only existing painted helms are surviving late 15th century sallets, and they all seem to use a linseed-oil based paint.  I wouldn't recommend something like milk paint, as I don't think it will stick to metal.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2015-04-19, 13:51:19 »
Painting will
Does it prevent rust?

Painted metal can't rust unless the paint scrapes or flakes off. I'm sure it was one of the benefits, if not the primary reason, for painting helmets.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #9 on: 2015-04-20, 01:07:55 »

As far as I'm aware, the only existing painted helms are surviving late 15th century sallets, and they all seem to use a linseed-oil based paint.  I wouldn't recommend something like milk paint, as I don't think it will stick to metal.

Interesting... Would you have any particular mixtures or brand recommendations to use? I managed to dig a little deeper and found this neat little site: http://www.cyberlipid.org/perox/oxid0011.htm
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2015-04-21, 22:14:51 »
i painted that helmet of mine a while ago. just had spray paint on hand. seems to have held up ok.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #11 on: 2015-04-22, 00:15:12 »
That's Patrick Kelly.  He makes a very studly Norman.

I made his shield. Man that was a loooong time back. His kit kicked ass in those pics.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-22, 00:15:36 by Allan Senefelder »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2015-04-22, 19:02:41 »
That was a boss shield, Allan. 

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #13 on: 2015-04-22, 19:44:45 »
As I recall, Patrick took those pics wearing the original Gadjalt sword forged by Pete Johnson ( which I got to handle at Swordfest and it's exquisite!).

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2015-04-23, 19:04:01 »
The Gaddhjalt has always been one of the ones on 'my list' of swords to acquire.  Its got simple, clean lines and its a beast- at least from the stats.  You got to handle one though, that's very cool.