Main > The Round Table

Phony SEALS

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
heheeh

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-05-26, 16:25:24 ---As for knighthood, oddly enough I came to the realization when I first started looking into getting armored up and doing a lot of reading and research about knights and chivalry that I have been on the path of chivalry for nearly my entire life and not so much as a conscious decision made years ago that I would follow a path of chivalry.

So in essence I feel that I had been born a knight who eventually grew into his spurs.  :-\

--- End quote ---

That too, is well said.  You're on a roll, Sir Brian!  Keep coming up with those gems.

LOL @ PX Heroes- what a great moniker for those types!  Besides, I always thought that if you were a SEAL, you'd never mention it while still active...don't they all claim to be low-scale clerks and such? 

I might've gotten that from TV.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-05-26, 16:25:24 ---As for knighthood, oddly enough I came to the realization when I first started looking into getting armored up and doing a lot of reading and research about knights and chivalry that I have been on the path of chivalry for nearly my entire life and not so much as a conscious decision made years ago that I would follow a path of chivalry.

So in essence I feel that I had been born a knight who eventually grew into his spurs.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Well said! It was much the same for me. It wasn't until 2006, after I had been armoring up for several years, that I realized it's what I had been aiming for all along. :)

Sir James A:
Sir Edward, this is probably the site you're looking for: http://www.stolenvalor.com/

The Stolen Valor act was just passed about 5 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2005

It's a VERY huge difference between portraying a knight and a SEAL. There are no "knights", as went tend to think of them, today. We're embracing and revitalizing a "lost art" of sorts. Nobody will say "that guy says he's a knight, and it's great that he has put himself in danger to serve our country". There's no expectation that we ever would, or have, done anything other than what we want to, for fun. There's no financial gain from us calling ourselves Knights. I do it because I love it, because it makes me a better person, and because I'm decended from germans and english/scottish a few centuries ago and it just "feels right".

The SEALS, on the other hand, are very much a modern day group, and impersonating them is a very big deal (to me) because many of them do risk (and sometimes lose) their lives for us to keep the freedoms and safety we have.

I have family that served in the military, and it absolutely infuriates me that someone would pretend to have served in Vietnam for their own personal gain - I've never seen one case where they did it for selfless reasons. Whereas my dad served because he wanted to, and almost never speaks about it or even admits it, except when we go out to lunch on Veteran's day. It's been over 30 years, and he just last year decided to get a Veteran license plate for his car. My grandfather served, but I don't know when - all I know is he was in the Army before I was born, and that's because my grandmother told me. He never spoke of it once.

I can dress like a pirate and call myself a pirate, but unless I'm in or near Somalia, most people would have the common sense to understand it's a costume, it's a hobby, or it's a way of life - but that I'm not actually boarding ships and firing cannons and having swashbuckling adventures. Call myself a seal? It's certainly plausible, and brings a whole slew of perks along with the claim ... but it's morally reprehensible, IMO.

Sir William:
I wholeheartedly agree, Sir James.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version