"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: favorite books  (Read 6707 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
favorite books
« on: 2008-05-04, 02:35:07 »
what are your favorite books on swords/armour/fighting/history etc and why?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: favorite books
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-08, 11:34:08 »
bump!

i like World War Z, Osprey Series books :), arms & armour of the medieval knight... come on guys ;) 

Sir Griff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-28, 19:24:38 »
The work of Ewart Oakeshott, namely the A knight... series.

I also have an illustrated encyclopaedia on knights which offers a very historically accurate view on knights and their equipment from about the late IXth century to the late XVth century.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-29, 04:53:57 »
Strange, I typed a response to this a couple weeks ago... maybe I didn't click "post"?

My current favorite book, being the geek that I am, is Tom Leoni's translation of the work of the 16th c. fencing master Salvator Fabris. Or at least, that's my favorite at the moment. Its my favorite because of just how clearly he explains fencing theory, in a way that just was done in most other contemporary written sources. Heck, he explained things better than some modern sources. The work of Fabris has given me a much better understanding of many of the universal principles of martial arts in a way that my years of Aikido, Tae Kwon Do and sport fencing never did.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck