"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Armour Books for sale on AA  (Read 6014 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Armour Books for sale on AA
« on: 2011-04-15, 19:30:40 »
The thread is: FS: Armor Books

Copied here for ease.

Selling books for a friend:

Warriors & Worhties: Arms and Armor through the Ages by Nickel, Helmut; Hardcover, 8vo (9.5" x 10.25" approx.), 122 pages, color photos by B. Pendleton, b/w courtesy of The Met. Museum of Art, NY; (1969) Atheneum; NY

Asking $30 + S&H

Arms & Armour of the Western World by Bruno Thomas, Ortwin Gamber, Hans Schedelmann; Large format Hardcover, dust jacket with shelfwear, Color / bw images, 252 pages (1964).

Asking: $75 + S&H

A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons by Francis Grose; Hardcover, 212 pages; 7 1/2" bu 10"; plates were taken from the original armour in the Tower of Londonand other Arfenals, Mufeums, and Cabinets.; reprint of the 1786 edition; Benchmark Publ.; (1970) Glendale, N.Y.

$25 + S&H

Armour from the battle of Wisby, 1361. by Thordeman, Bengt.; Stockholm : Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, 1939; Hardcover, 2 volume set , vol. 1 Text -- vol. 2 Plates. (1939)

$450 + S&H

Le armature di S.Maria delle Grazie di Curtatone di Mantova e l'armatura lombarda del '400. by Lionello G. Boccia; in Italian; Hardcover with dustjacket; cm.27x32; 304pages; 536 ill. (1982) published by Bramante in Italy

$400 + S&H

A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armour in All Countries and in all Times by George Cameron Stone; Hardcover; 694 pages (1961) ISBN 0517065878

$40 + S&H

As an FYI, shipping charges are dependent on location. International shipping can be costly.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Armour Books for sale on AA
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-15, 19:32:25 »
I want Armour from the battle of Wisby, 1361 in the worst way!  I'm not spending $450 + S&H though. :o
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-15, 20:41:54 »
Some of those cost more than college textbooks...what gives?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-16, 21:57:10 »
I don't kow if this is applicable, but you can get great deals on almost any title at half.com.  If it has aa ISB number, you can probably find it there.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-18, 20:07:58 »
Almost all the books on the list are pre-1970, and those usually bring a decent premium, especially when printed in small quantities. I've seen a couple books for sale with a comma in the price.

Le armature di S.Maria delle Grazie di Curtatone di Mantova e l'armatura lombarda del '400 is a fantastic book. I was extremely lucky to be granted a scanned copy of an older book by Boccia too, and the line drawings are great for playing with potential armor styles in photoshop:

http://james-anderson-iii.com/medieval-items/pages/scanneditalianarmorbook/

I have the full book online and all the images in a higher res zip file that you can download from my site, too. I'm pretty sure it's out of copyright. :D

edit: link updated
« Last Edit: 2012-09-08, 00:03:01 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent