"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Revival Clothing arming cotte  (Read 7188 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Revival Clothing arming cotte
« on: 2008-04-25, 14:30:05 »

According to the tracking info, my arming cotte has been delivered, so I'll try to post some pics or comments or something tonight if this is true. I know that several of you guys already have them or are familiar with them, but whatever. :)

http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=221

I had ordered mine during the February sale, but it was too small, and the next size up was out of stock. And since the linen-lined version is replacing the cotton-lined versions, I've had to wait for the new one to come in. So it's been two months, but that's OK since I wasn't in any kind of rush.

Anyone else have comments, pictures, critiques, etc?

Any sort of "gotchas" I should look out for?

I'm thinking I'd like to try pointing my legs to the arming cotte. Suggestions on how to do this? Should I just drill some holes in the cuisses? :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Revival Clothing arming cotte
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-25, 15:30:32 »
Awesome. You already know how much I love mine. I only have a couple of *very* minor complaints.

1) The points have plastic on the tips like shoelaces... but truth be told, if that helps keep the price down, I'm happy enough with them. I could easily buy metal tips for them if it were a really big deal, but since I'm not doing living history I can get away with it, since no one notices.

2) The points on the legs are a little low for me... but that isn't a fault of the garment. That's just because my legs are too damn long. :) I need to make new points that are about an inch higher or so, but you may not need to do so.

I don't have any pictures of mine, but I should take some and post... I'd like to promote it a little more. I think a lot of people don't realize that there is an arming doublet besides the Historic Enterprises one.

I'm thinking I'd like to try pointing my legs to the arming cotte. Suggestions on how to do this? Should I just drill some holes in the cuisses? :)

I'm confused... how are the legs pointed now? I know you attach them to a belt, but how do you have them stay up?
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-25, 18:26:15 »

I'm confused... how are the legs pointed now? I know you attach them to a belt, but how do you have them stay up?

The bulk of the weight is held up by the strap around the back of the calf muscles, just below the knee. The strap that loops onto the belt is mounted at the center of each cuisse, and pulls intermittently as I walk. And that's it. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-25, 18:55:42 »
Oh, wow, then yes, I would definately drill holes at the top of the cuisses! Every historical example I can think of has leather rivetted there, and the points tie on the leather. I'm surpised you're able to move well with it tied in the back like that!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-25, 19:16:37 »
The strap that goes around the back of the knee isn't so tight, otherwise I'd never be able to straighten my leg. This is the one that comes around from the demigreave, that I'm speaking of. But yes, I'd love for the cuisse to be held up too!

I bought a steel hole-punch, but it looks like it's next to impossible to use without mounting it to a work-bench or something, even though the handles are designed for manual use too. Just not enough leverage. I couldn't even get it to punch through my aluminum spaulders (though they're aircraft aluminum, which is actually pretty tough). So I suspect that using a plain old power-drill is the way to go.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-25, 22:11:46 »

It did indeed arrive, and it's really nice! I knew that already, but now I'm getting to try one on that fits. It's good that it's accommodating to my expanded mid-section, though it'll certainly fit more comfortably if I lose about 15 pounds there. But it's so adjustable that this is a non-issue.

Pic:
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-26, 01:48:50 »
what a poser for the camera ;) great, glad you like it.

Bill, I've tried getting Ed up here now for months to work on his armour for faire....  I'll have to drag him kicking and screaming hehehehe

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-26, 03:41:41 »
Looking good, Ed! These arming doublets actually look really great even without the armour, I have to say. Let us know how your armour functions with it on!

Bill, I've tried getting Ed up here now for months to work on his armour for faire....  I'll have to drag him kicking and screaming hehehehe

Heh, maybe we should find a day to all get together. We can call it "Arts and Crafts" day. :)

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-26, 10:32:21 »
Hi Ed,

For some reason I keep thinking about a Right Said Fred song.   ;)

Will you bring it to class Wednesday?  I'd like to take a look at how thick the linen liner is.  Thanks.
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2008-04-26, 12:21:06 »
arts and craft day eh? hmmmm okay sounds good to me. i can bring some armouring tools etc for fixing things etc etc. and a  sewing machine ooooooooooooo matching tabbards to go over the armour ooooooooooo

when?