"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Ren Faire Dates - 2008  (Read 85572 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Ren Faire Dates
« Reply #15 on: 2008-02-26, 19:43:19 »
Yeah, it's probably still worth visiting any faire at least once. I like CRF as well.. Have you been to Pittsburgh? It's a small faire, but we thought it was decent, so I'm curious about how it might have changed under the new owners.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2008-02-28, 16:23:56 »
Added Bristol to the list:   July 5 - September 1,  http://www.renfair.com/bristol/

I think A&A has a booth at this one.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-28, 16:26:30 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2008-03-01, 03:57:16 »
Is it too early to start planning to go?  VAF is usually closed Memorial Day weekend (which means I won't have to work) so I'm considering the VARF that weekend.

You know, that might be a good idea. Seeing as I obviously wouldn't be working that weekend, either. ;) Dana will be out of town in Chicago... I was originally thinking of going with her and possibly do some training with the Chicago Swordplay Guild, but I don't think I have the funds right now for the plane ticket. (Not after realizing how much its going to cost me to get my ISBN number for my book! Did you know you have to buy ten at a time?) So the Ren Faire would be much cheaper.

Out of curiosity, are swords allowed at VARF?
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Ren Faire Dates - 2008
« Reply #18 on: 2008-03-01, 04:02:12 »

10 ISBNs at a time? Yikes. I think typically it's publishers who are registering them, so it's not usually an issue. That stings if you're self-publishing... (though I don't know what they cost).

Anyway, yes, VARF does permit peace-tied weaponry. It's a very small faire, but it's growing, and has a strong cast.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2008-03-01, 04:29:37 »
(Not after realizing how much its going to cost me to get my ISBN number for my book! Did you know you have to buy ten at a time?)

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I just looked. It's a lot cheaper up-front to get the ISBN through lulu, since they have a $99 package that includes one ISBN, submitting it to google's book search, and putting it into database listings for libraries. I'm not sure what else the package does. Of course if you plan to use all 10 ISBNs eventually, it's more cost effective to get the batch.

Anyway, now returning to our regularly scheduled message thread..... :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2008-03-01, 06:47:49 »
This is getting a bit off-topic, but I just looked. It's a lot cheaper up-front to get the ISBN through lulu, since they have a $99 package that includes one ISBN, submitting it to google's book search, and putting it into database listings for libraries. I'm not sure what else the package does. Of course if you plan to use all 10 ISBNs eventually, it's more cost effective to get the batch.

Wow, that's ridiculously cheaper if I go that route... thanks for the heads up!

And to bring this back on topic, the extra money I save can go into getting greaves and maybe sabatons for my harness... ;)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #21 on: 2008-03-01, 12:33:07 »
You know, that might be a good idea. Seeing as I obviously wouldn't be working that weekend, either. ;) Dana will be out of town in Chicago... I was originally thinking of going with her and possibly do some training with the Chicago Swordplay Guild, but I don't think I have the funds right now for the plane ticket. (Not after realizing how much its going to cost me to get my ISBN number for my book! Did you know you have to buy ten at a time?) So the Ren Faire would be much cheaper.

Would Sunday of Memorial Weekend work for y'all?  (Chris might have an Eagle Court of Honor that Saturday.  <fingers crossed>)
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #22 on: 2008-03-01, 14:09:07 »

I may go several times this year. It'll probably work pretty well for me. This is contingent on my negotiation skills for the pager rotation of course, as always. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2008-03-03, 05:01:26 »
Would Sunday of Memorial Weekend work for y'all?  (Chris might have an Eagle Court of Honor that Saturday.  <fingers crossed>)

Is that May 25? I might be able to swing that. If Ed's coming, I suppose this means I'll have to armour up, huh?

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #24 on: 2008-03-03, 11:54:05 »
Is that May 25? I might be able to swing that. If Ed's coming, I suppose this means I'll have to armour up, huh?

Have to?   ???  Admit it, you are looking for an excuse to.  :)

Long story, short summary.  Sunday, 5/25 no longer works for us.  The Muirs will be going to the VARF on Saturday, May 24, carved in stone.  I'd love it if y'all could be there too.
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2008-03-03, 15:07:08 »
OK, I'll try to keep the date in mind. Hopefully it won't be too hot for armor, though the new arming doublets should help with that.

Bill, if you want to armor up, and assuming I'm free that day, I'll certainly join in with the plate armor. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2008-03-03, 15:48:17 »

Darn tootin' I am. :) That stuff's too expensive to only take out occassionally for the rare times in class when we do harnessfechten and for demos.

I think I can make 5/24. I might be able to rope in Mason, though I don't think he'd want to dress up. I'm sure I could get him to wear my big feathered hat, though... he'd probably love that.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #27 on: 2008-03-03, 22:16:27 »

Oh, that reminds me, when are we getting you into some armor? *nudge*nudge* ?? :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #28 on: 2008-03-03, 22:19:09 »
Darn tootin' I am. :) That stuff's too expensive to only take out occassionally for the rare times in class when we do harnessfechten and for demos.

I think I can make 5/24. I might be able to rope in Mason, though I don't think he'd want to dress up. I'm sure I could get him to wear my big feathered hat, though... he'd probably love that.

Personally, I love getting out to faire with armor. These days I'm really enjoying all the attention from kids and families that want pictures and have all sorts of questions about knights and armor.

If Mason comes, remind him to bring his mug!

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #29 on: 2008-03-04, 17:52:04 »
Oh, that reminds me, when are we getting you into some armor? *nudge*nudge* ?? :)

As soon as someone wants to get some for me.   ;)

For now, this will have to do...

~Steinman/Pitchford